Why did my dentist tell me he can't bond one of my gaps? (Photo)

I went in today to get 5 teeth bonded. I was so excited to get my pretty smile back! Once he was done he gave me a mirror to look and I was pretty upset that I still had a gap and that was specifically why I wanted my teeth bonded. He said he couldn't because it would break. I would love it if I could get other opinions and advice I'm really upset about this!

Consider #veneers for gap that bonding couldn't fix #DrSoftTouch

Hello Shayna,
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the results that you were hoping for.  Bonding can be used to close small gaps, but is not recommended for larger gaps due to the risk of fracture.  An excellent option for you, to close gaps and give you instant results, would be porcelain veneers. Veneers would be expected to last 20 plus years, while composite bonding is only considered a temporary fix.  Consult with an experienced cosmetic dentist to determine your options.  Always look at before and after photos when selecting your dentist. They will give you a pretty good indication about what you can expect. I've attached a link to a before and after photo of a patient of mine who's case was similar to yours. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Bonding for gaps between teeth.

Bonding is great for closing gaps between teeth. However, it is not recommended for big gaps as it is not strong enough. In such cases, veneers work better.

Gap remains

The simple answer is yes unless when you bite together a lower tooth goes directly into the space--then that tooth would need to be reshaped as well. Bonding teeth is quite a challenge for many dentists--look for an accomplished cosmetic dentist--one accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry can be a great resource for you as well--there are a couple in your area--Go to AACD.com for their contact information. Good Luck!