I've had silicone breast implants for 12 years. It's been a year I'm feeling changes in my breasts. Is there something wrong?

They look smaller. They have ripples that are visible and felt by touch. They feel cold, and sometimes I have a wet feeling in my breasts. I dont know if it's just my imagination, but i also feel as if something is crawling from under my breast toward my back.

Is there something wrong with my implants?

Hi. Changes in appearance and temperature sensation are very good reasons to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  It sounds like you might have some degree of capsular contracture. The rippling could be due to volume loss in the breast or thinning out of the tissues by the implant.  Good luck to you.

See a surgeon

The fact that there has been a recent, dramatic change in the feel of your breasts is a definite reason to be assessed in person. If your surgeon is no longer working, schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below). Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I appreciate your question.

I recommend you have your implants checked by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Due to the recent changes an evaluation is warranted.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Changes after 12 years

Hello, if you've recently noticed changes in the look or feel of your breasts, it would be best to book an assessment with a physician.

Worried about a change in implants

Thanks for your question. Your best bet is to have your implants checked by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Implants don't last forever, and it is a good idea for anyone with implants to have them checked every few years. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

12 years post op

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon to talk about what you are experiencing and be seen for an exam. Weight loss and minimal breast tissue or thin skin will allow the implants to be felt more easily. Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to assess for any other issues.

Take care

Ripples felt 12 years after silicone breast implants

Your ripples could be more noticeable in the event of weight-loss, but I would recommend contacting your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have an in person examination. I wish you the best!

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Your symptoms are certainly not classic for a ruptured implant, but an examination is necessary to give you a better idea of what may be the issue.Best wishes.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Best to be seen

It is best that you be assessed by a plastic surgeon to make sure your implants are intact and you do not have a capsular contracture which may be possible after 12 years

Martin Jugenburg, MD