Jaw Reduction, Facial Asymmetry, Long Face? (photo)

I am a 23 year old female, and I have been deeply dissatisfied with my face since the age of 6 or so. Maturing into my "adult face" has only made matters worse as my face is now a long rectangle void of any feminine roundness but without the allure of an "unique" face. I am the most insecure about my jaw, which I feel is massive and masculine looking. I've seen a counselor for three years but can't progress because I don't FEEL unfeminine and ugly, I AM. Will feminization or jaw surgery help?

Doctor Answers 2


I would recommednd a consultation with an orthodontist to look at all aspects of the face in terms of shape, symmetrey, and jaw size.  You may have to try more than one consultation in order to find someone who will really take the time to measure everything and see what is going on.  You likely need both a lateral and frontal cephalometric analysis.  Asymmetry is more apparent in the frontal analysis but many orthodontists do not use it.  I would also recommend a careful analysis using a cone beam CT scan to get a 3D volumetric image of the entire face and head.  This is the best way to look for the causes of asymmetry.  One of the best machines for this is called the I-Cat and the orthodontist must be well trained on how to get information out of a CT scan.   You then need to talk with a good oral or plastic surgeon who specialized in this type of surgery to see what he thinks can be done.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Orthognathic surgery(corrective jaw surgery) may help you

From these photos it looks like the lower third ( chin part of lower jaw) of Your face is excess both vertically and horizontally (that is it is grown little more than required height wise and length wise.)Orthognathic Surgery, a corrective jaw surgery, can be done after calculating the amount of excess with the help of Cephalometry.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.