Uneven juvederm lip injections? (Photos)

I got my lips injected with juvederm Thursday morning. I had no swelling or brusing for about 6-7 hours but only swelling. right when I left there were two lumps on both sides of my bottom lip on the inside but wasn't noticeable. that night they swelled, but looked pretty. the next day they were horribly uneven, lumps were significantly swollen and I look like a cartoon character. it's Saturday morning and I still look crazy. left bottom lip is way worse than the other what should I do?

Juvederm Made Me Look Like a Cartoon Character!

Hopefully some of your swelling has resolved by now. It is normal to get swelling, especially in the lips, as the tissue there can expand tremendously. Herbal supplements such as arnica and bromelain pills can help with swelling and bruising. It may take 3-4 weeks before the swelling completely settles. If at that time, you still are not happy with the look, you may want to consider reversal with hyaluronidase. 

Sacramento Physician

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Early swelling following Juvederm injections into lips

Thank you for sharing your concerns. It is too early to judge the final results. Wait another week before evaluating how things look. See your doctor if you are still dissatisfied, because the product can be dissolved.
Good luck,

Good luck,

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Juvederm typically takes 10-14 days to see optimal results. If you are unhappy with the results I suggest reversing with hyaluronidase and seeking treatment from an experienced cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip swelling

It can take a week or more for lip swelling to subside. Lumps may need to be evaluated by your injector. Best of luck. 

Lip swelling

Unsatisfactory juvederm results can be reversed

Thanks for sharing your concerns.  Swelling is not uncommon after Juvederm injection to the lips. I would give it a few weeks to see how it looks when the swelling resolves. The filler can always be dissolved with hyaluronidase, so whatever happens, there is no need for you to worry too much.

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Gentle massage may be beneficial.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with hyaluronidase.  Best wishes!

There maybe too much filler

Although it's too early to tell, and there can be significant swelling after lip injections for a few days, it does seem like your injections are concentrated in the outside of lower lip, and too much filler was put there too surerficillay. If it doesn't resolve in a week, request injection with enYme hyaloronidaze that can dissolve the product.
best of luck!

There maybe too much filler

best of luck!

Uneven juvederm lip injections?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I can see your area of concern and without an in-persone examination it is difficult to offer definite advice.  The thin tissues of the lips are prone to significant swelling after injections but you do have sizable lumps from the filler placement.  I know it is difficult to wait but allow your lips at least 2 weeks to heal before deciding on any corrections.  In the meantime I would revisit your injector to discuss gentle massaging of the tissues as well as techniques to minimize swelling, such as arnica montana, bromelain, cold compresses, head elevation, etc.  Hope this helps.

Uneven juvederm lip injections?

Lip augmentation with filler

First, I would followup with the physician who injected your lips and discuss your results. Swelling is common after filler injection to the lips and it can last up to a week or more. However, superficial injection of a filler can cause lumps and in this case either the filler needs to be spread with massage or reversed with hyaluronidase.

Lip augmentation with filler