I'm thinking of getting a reduction but worried about scars. (photo)

There's a close friend who said she got one before but i m unsure she got an augmentation or reduction Would u verify which one she've got? Posted below r her breast n scar

The Horndeski Method/Bellesoma Method breast reduction

Hi,

The photos of your friend show she had an augmentation not a breast reduction.  If you wish to reduce your breasts and lift them higher on your chest, consider The Horndeski Method/Bellesoma Method.  This technique produces youthful breasts without the extra cost and risks/complications associated with breast implants and no vertical scar. Attached is an example of The Horndeski Method/Bellesoma Method without implants and minimal scarring.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Dr. Gary Horndeski 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction scars

The photo is a scar from a breast augmentation, not a breast reduction. Breast reduction scars are always more, as skin needs to be removed. The minimum is usually the "lollipop" style, but commonly also needs an additional scar in the fold beneath the breast.

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Steve Merten, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Scar

It looks like your friend had a breast augmentation based upon the position of the scar and the appearance of the breasts.

I'm thinking of getting a reduction but worried about scars.

The photograph that you posted shows a hyperpigmented inframammary scar used to place a breast implant for purposes of augmentation.  Not all heal with this degree of visibility but depending upon the patient's genetics such scars can be visible and do remain in a visible location.  Darkening, thickening, stretching and thinning with discoloration are all risks with inframammary scars that I personally choose to avoid.

The incision lines for breast reduction are more extensive and there is definitely a greater associated risk of visibility and prominence.  Though largely related to genetics, the prominence of scars can be reduced by the use of silicone gels and Embrace Scar Therapy tape treatments.  At best however the scars will not be invisible and at worst they may still be prominent so take this into account before proceeding with your breast reduction.  Your history of healing incisions in other areas may have some influence on the outcome of your breast reduction surgery but the risk of prominent scars will still remain .  Most patients who need breast reduction do it to alleviate social embarrassment as well as pains and aches in the neck shoulders and back with most patients delighted by the clinical improvement.  Review photos of other patients to see their before-and-after outcomes and good luck for a smooth recovery.  Enjoy the information in the video link above.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Reduction incisions

Thanks for your question, Qweeny.  I agree with my colleagues that your friend likely underwent breast augmentation, not reduction.  

Different breast reduction techniques produce different scar patterns, and the selection of incision may be influenced by the size of the breast, quality of the skin, desired postoperative size, even patient or surgeon preference.  Know that the quality of the scar is dependent on multiple things.  Some can be controlled by the surgeon:  technique, tension, suture material, post op scar care;  some cannot:  body site, personal genetics, race genetics.  

If you seek a consultation, make sure you find a surgeon facile with multiple different approach to reduction, and discuss your concerns.  Make sure your surgeon has a plan for closing the incisions to optimize your scars, and discuss other means to improve the result (taping, topical scar aides, massage, sunscreen...)

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Reduction scars

Thank you for your question.  The photos you have provided show an incision along the lower fold of the breast and are most suggestive of a breast augmentation.  It would be nice if you could provide to us some pictures of your own breasts so that we might comment on which procedure(s) might allow you to achieve the reduction you desire.  I would then be able to comment more about the anticipated scarring only if I know what reduction technique would be most appropriate for you.  Best of luck to you. 

Vinod V. Pathy, MD, FACS
Norwich Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction scars

Breast reduction scarsThe pictures you are showing of what sounds like your friend are the results of breast augmentation. If you are asking for only a moderate size reduction find a BCPS Who specializes in the "Scarless" technique which uses only Liposuction. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Hi, thanks for sharing your concern with us! Its important for you to know two things, first one is that scarring in every people is diferent even you get the same procedure, same doctor, same technique, its completly diferent, second is that in breast resuction scars are located in the inferior pole of the breast so you can wear any clothe you want and it wont notice.

The surgery of your friend if a breast augmentation.

Have a nice day!! :)

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Breast reduction scars

The photo shows a scar along the inframammary fold. This is a common incision for augmentation. Breast reduction scars vary with technique but a scar along this fold is common as well as around the areola and below. During your consultation your plastic surgeon will review the technique which is best suited for you and the location of scars. Breast reduction surgery has a very high satisfaction rate. Best of luck

Helena Guarda, MD
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

Based on the photographs, it seems like your friend had a breast augmentation.

Beast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform; the trade-off associated with the operation are additional scars, generally around the areola, vertical, and sometimes horizontal.

Best to meet with board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals/concerns/questions.  It will be important that you consider the pros cons/risks/complications associated with the procedure prior to making any decisions. 

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.