I was wondering if it is ok to trade your surgical compression bra for a sports bra when you go out for a couple of hours?

I am 3 days post-op, and my doctor told me that I could only take off my surgical bra to shower. However, it is way to hot to wear a sweatshirt, and my surgical bra looks obvious and unsightly under a t-shirt.

Surgical bra

While it will most likely be acceptable, it is best to check with your surgeon.  He/She knows the details of your surgery and how you are doing in the healing process.

Bra

Every surgeon has his /her preference about what type of bra and how long you should wear one. I would suggest calling your surgeon's office and asking him/her. I ask my patients to wear a sports bra for the first 4 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Compression bra

As others have mentioned before me, you should check with your plastic surgeon before doing anything in case there is a specific reason he wants you to keep wearing specifically the surgical bra. If there is no reason that your doctor has, then in my practice it would absolutely be okay for you to wear a sports bra for several hours.
Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD

Post Op Bras

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you specifically as each surgeon has their own preferred protocols. Within certain parameters I do not mind my patients wearing a sports bra post op. I ask them to avoid underwire for 2 months.
All the best

Surgical bra for sports bra

Of course defer to your surgeon, but in most cases in my practice one can interchange the sports bra for a surgical bra (if one was used at all)

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Bra

Check with your surgoen.  I have no problem with my patients wearing a sports bra after surgery. Best wishes for a nice recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bras after surgery

Every surgeon is a bit different in terms of post-op garments. I usually have patients wear a sports bra. Best to ask your surgeon.

Breast augmentation post op

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to your recovery and post operative care, it is always best to follow the advice of your operating surgeon.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD