After septoplasty surgery I have breathing issues; why?

I had a deviated septum on the left side of my nose.I had septoplasty and reconstruction a week ago. I can breathe perfect in and out of left nostril but now the right side of my nostril is stuffy I can almost not breathe in or out the right side of nostril. Why is this so? Is it effects after surgery? Will my right nostril go back to normal..everything looks straight and perfect?

Nasal congestion after septoplasty

This is a concern that you will certainly want to bring up with your septoplasty surgeon at your very next appointment.  If you don't already have a scheduled follow up appointment, then I would make one.  It is entirely possible that you merely have some congealed or crusted blood in the right side, that can be easily cleared by your surgeon during your follow up visit. After septoplasty, I recommend to my patients to use a daily nasal saline rinse - these saline rinse kits can be picked up at the drug store.  In general, it is also important to have a realistic expectation after septoplasty - there will still be some nasal airway resistance afterwards - the incoming air needs to be warmed, humidified and filtered in the nose before it is presented to the lungs.  I hope this is helpful to you.

Breathing issues after septoplasty

It could be due to swelling of the nasal mucosa, especially considering your surgery was 1 week ago. It takes the inside of the nose about 4-6 weeks to heal after nasal surgery.  Also, the nasal cycle is the often unnoticed alternating partial congestion and decongestion of the nasal cavities in humans. It is a physiological congestion of the the nasal turbinates which may be what you are experiencing. In order to determine what is causing your nasal obstruction, a proper physical exam is necessary.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon