I'm going on vacation. I'm getting restylane under my eyes six days before I leave. Will I have any swelling on my vacation?

Potential Restylane swelling

Every patient is different when it comes to the healing time after an under eye dermal filler treatment. The most typical side effects from a Restylane treatment include temporary swelling, numbness or redness around the injection site. Some patients can experience swelling for a few days and very rarely for up to one week, so it might be better to err on the side of caution and wait until after your vacation to undergo Restylane injections. The minimal side effects will go away on their own, but there is no 100% guarantee the swelling will clear up completely within the six day timeframe.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Treatment and avoiding swelling on vacation

This is an advanced injection technique. Ensure that you choose an experienced and expert physician injector to perform this treatment. A master physician injector will be able to provide you an honest and educated assessment if you are a good candidate, and if the injection can be performed with minimal swelling.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling after Restylane

You might have swelling...but I think the greater concern is bruising. 

I do my best to inject under the eyes without causing any bruising, but it is always a risk. You can decrease it by using ice, keeping your head up, and it will resolve. Still, the risk is there, and if having a bit of a shiner on your vacation would ruin your time, I would consider waiting until after. 

Restylane under eyes

Good question.  Whether you still have swelling depends on several factors such as the depth of injection and what the goal of treatment it.  Usually we place the filler deep to muscle for volume and swelling is a common for the first 24-48 hours because the product absorbs water.  If the product is being place also under the skin to treat wrinkles, there is more likely to be prolonged swelling.  To minimize this problem, depending on the type of correction I'm aiming for, I'll add lidocaine to the product to customize it and thin it out.  There is still excellent longevity with less chance for lumpiness and swelling after the first day or two.  It is essential to go to a skilled board certified injector who has extensive experience in this area for the best result.  In my experience, Belotero does not last as long in this area.  Also, may patients actually need volume slightly below and not right along the orbital rim and in those patients, non water absorbing fillers such as Voluma and Radiesse I feel are a much better option and swell much less (I also customize them to the skin type and amount of volume correction vs skin treatment I'm aiming for).

I hope that helps and best of luck!

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling is a common side effect of under eye injections and can last approx. 2 weeks.

Thank you for your question. Swelling is a common side effect of under eye injections and can last approx. 2 weeks. Avoid ASA products, ibuprofen and alcohol 10 days prior to injections to reduce swelling, sleep with your head slightly elevated post injection and apply cold compresses for 10 mins several times a day.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

The best answer anyone can give you is maybe. Any physician injector who promises you will be totally healed 6 days after undereye injections obviously hasn't performed this procedure very many times. Avoiding aspirin for two weeks prior to the treatment, starting Arnica montana two to three days before the procedure and icing generously for the first two to three days after the procedure can help reduce swelling and bruising dramatically. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 days after Restylane under the eyes

Dear loneyls:

As much as any patient or physician wishes for things to go perfect, I would plan on swelling and bruising. 

Any time the skin is injured, swelling and bruising are a side-effect. 

A bruise will usually go away in 1 to 3 weeks and a hematoma in 3 to 6 weeks.There ARE things a patient can do to reduce the potential and incidence of bruising.

Prior to any procedure:

1 Stop the use of ALL non-essential medications and supplements 2 weeks prior to any procedure. This list is extensive but even small amounts of many of these substances can add up. They include: black mushrooms, clove, Gingko biloba, Gingsen, ginger, garlic, bilberry, dong quai, feverfew, vitamin E, honeysuckle, wintergreen, aspirin, ibuprofen, Naprosyn, chondroitin/glucosamine, saw palmetto, fish oils / essential fatty acids, co-q-10 and all other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

2 Use an anti-histamine the morning of a procedure to reduce a exacerbated histamine release (flushing), if you have this trait.

3 Some patients will trial a herbal vitamin K; although this is not known to help.

4. Begin eating fresh pineapple. 1/3 of a pineapple the day before, the day of and the day after has been the only consistent supplement we have found to decrease bruising. This is due to the bromelain enzyme contained in the fresh fruit.

At the time of the procedure:

1 Use ice for vaso-constriction, reduction in swelling and reduction in pain

2 If a local anesthetic is to be used, use a vaso-constrictor if your MD will permit it.

3 Stay calm as elevated blood pressure can expand the bruising or hematoma.

4 Pineapple

5 Arnica Montana as a cream and / or pill. This herbal may also cause blood thinning as well and has not been consistent is reducing bruising in my experience.

Following the procedure:

1 Alternate an insulated icebag to the areas of injury continuously until bed time.

2. Keep the injured area Cosmetic above the level of your heart

3 Finish your pineapple

4 Stay calm the first day and no exertional activities nor head-down position.

5 Consider a cosmetic camouflage make-up.

These are not full-proof but helpful strategies to reduce or hide bruising following cosmetic injectibles.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Lower eyelid and nasojugal swelling

The lower eyelid skin is quite thin.  Subcutaneous injections in this area and of the nasojugal line  can result in prominent then subtle swelling for up to two weeks.  Using a cannula injection technique minimizes this in my practice.

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler under eyes and swelling

It is cutting it close. You may have swelling still there at a week. Everyone heals differently at different rates. If concerned, wait until you get back from vacation.

Most likely

Any filler near the eyes has a high likelihood of swelling for the first week.  Plan on some downtime!

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist