I am 19 years old and having pcos causing lots of facial hair.

Is laser treatment good for me?

PCOS & Hair Growth

Thank you for your questions and we understand your concerns.  Lasers are almost always better than IPL for Laser Hair Removal.  With PCOS, your struggle with hair will be an on-going battle but you should be able to see improvement.  Look for the best equipment and experience, rather than the cheapest price.

Newer lasers have features built in (such as sapphire cooling tips) to make them more comfortable.  Some of the newer technology is also more efficient, allowing for lower energy settings to be used with better results and less discomfort.  For any laser treatment, safety is the most important consideration.   In our state, every new laser patient has to be seen by a medical practitioner.  At that point, they can determine if you can be safely treated with their laser.

We recommend finding an experienced and reputable provider in your area with updated equipment.  Calibration and power of the laser is important for a safe, comfortable and effective treatment.  Find out what laser they will use and if it is under a maintenance contract.  If their laser isn’t calibrated on a regular basis or is underpowered, your treatment may be painful or inefficient. We can't comment on the laser you mentioned.  It doesn't have the power & features we required.

Fort Worth Physician

PCOS and laser hair removal

If your PCOS is controlled then laser hair removal is good option. With PSCOS there is always a risk of hair reappearing in the same or new spots. The flaw is not in the method, but hormonal shifts cause this hair growth. Another option for you would be hair bleaching as well. Best of luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

PCOS & Laser Hair Removal

Yes, this is a good option for you. Diode lasers are typically the best treatment for laser hair removal. I suggest you see an expert for evaluation. It will take a series of treatments for improvement and may need additional sessions to maintain results. Best, Dr. Emer