Wondering if everything looks okay? I am day 4 post surgery. (photo)

I haven't really been swollen or blue or anything which I find weird. And I'm not even sure what method my surgeon did. A little tip of it still hangs out a little bit will that go back in once it heals???

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon. 

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Two months

It will likely take a few months to assess your final result.  The tissues are swollen and the may be asymmetry that is produced by the swelling.  Give it a few months before you worry about the result as it will improve with patience.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Wondering if everything looks okay? I am day 4 post surgery.

Labiaplasty procedures can take a few months to heal and to fully appreciate the final result.  Post procedure, and especially in the first few weeks after surgery, it is common to have swelling and you may notice the appearance of uneven areas as a result.  If you have questions regarding the progress of your healing, I would recommend calling or scheduling a follow up with your surgeon to address any concerns you may have.

George Shashoua, MD
Austin Urogynecologist

At four days most surgical procedures would be expected to have some degree of swelling. Continue with the post surgical plan that your plastic surgeon discussed with you and keep your follow up appointments. If you have any questions, your physicians staff should be a great resource when you are looking for answers.

R. Brannon Claytor, MD, FACS
Bryn Mawr Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though your photographs do not magnify well, it appears that you are healing well from surgery.  It is common to have a fair amount of swelling that will mask your long-term results but by 6-8 weeks you should see that the extra tissue will likely recede a bit.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty - is everything ok?

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.
  • The photo does not show any problem healing.
  • A well-done labiaplasty may have little bruising although there is some swelling.
  • Ask your surgeon what technique s/he used for your surgery - it's good to know what was done.
  • The visible tip may or may not disappear as the swelling goes down - it will take 6 weeks to see a more or less final result, 6 months to know if you need more done.
  • Hope all goes well. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

No answers without more details

Post a photo or share some details. You haven't explained enough. There's no way to answer your questions without more info.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Labiaplasty post op

It is difficult to be specific without photos but in general you should wait 4 weeks to see what the final result will be . There could be a small area of swelling that will resolve in time.  Best wishes.

Susan Chapman, MD
Kailua OB/GYN

Wondering if everything looks okay? I am day 4 post surgery

I cannot comment on what you will look like once you heal especially with no photos. Usually, if there is one little area that still hangs out, it may improve but won't resolve 100%. Every patient heals differently so it is okay that you didn't bruise.

Erika Sato, MD, FACS