Is lowering my inframammary crease my only option? (photos)

I have wanted implants since I can remember. Finally, I am in the position to have them and I'm hesitant. I have found a surgeon that I am comfortable with, and spent a great deal of time talking with. He insists that he would have to lower my crease. While I understand his reasoning, I have done my research and many surgeons are opposed to doing so. In my situation, is there really no other option? I am now a small A. I hope to be a full c, small D. Thanks for your help in advanced.

Do I Need to Have my Infra-mammary Fold Lowered for Breast Augmentation?

• In order to position a breast implant in the correct position, centered behind the nipple-areolar complex, it is sometimes necessary to lower a patient's infra-mammary fold/crease. 
  • When the distance, with the skin on stretch, between the nipple and native infra-mammary fold is constricted or too short, it is necessary to lower the fold at the time of implant placement.
  • Since I'm always concerned about "bottoming out" after implant placement I always place several internal sutures to recreate the new infra-mammary fold and to prevent the implant from moving too low. 
  • Without an actual examination of your breasts, I can't say for sure, but based upon your photos and your plastic surgeon's operative plan, lowering your fold makes sense. 
  • Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you!

Lowering the fold does increase the risks of "double bubble".

You have petite breasts with normal anatomy and you want them  to be several times larger. Consequently, the normal crease and footprint of your breast needs to be changed to properly position an implant. An experienced plastic surgeon will be able to share with you examples of their work and the limitations of augmentation surgery. Patient anatomy highly influences what surgeons are able to accomplish and the risks of breast surgery. Smaller implants will have lower risks of double bubble and other shape concerns.

Best regards,

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Lower the fold with breast implants

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you can have your fold lowered by the weight and size of the implant. As long as the fold is not destroyed, you should be fine. The reason why is that your folds are not well defined, or sharp. So they should lower without consequence.

I hope you found this helpful.

Lowering the Breast Crease

Thank you very much for your message.I agree with your surgeon that he will need to lower your breast crease because you have a high natural crease at the moment which I estimate is approximately 3-4cm.
The reason your surgeon wishes to lower your breast crease is to give you a more natural curved appearance to the lower part of your bust.
If your surgeon is using the skin crease for the incision lowering the crease will help them locate the scar in your natural crease.An incision in your crease now will result in it lying in the lower part of your breast above the crease after surgery.
I think it might be worthwhile having a look at some of our information videos on our website which has lots of information videos showing the incisions and why the crease needs to be lowered in some cases.AR

Breast fold

the photos are helpful. you may not need to have your fold lowered. however sometimes it is necessary to fit the implant size in the pocket correctly. lowering the crease is the last resort for me. i would make that decision the day of surgery after trying on several different sizes and viewing the results in the upright position on the operating table. you also have a very wide inferior cleavage that will need some degree of modification. certainly, you will have a nice improvement, but there may be compromises because of your anatomy.

Best implants profile for breasts spaced far apart, some advise:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

The kind of breast that you have often moves to confusion and doubts.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have a very important degree of sagging breasts as a result of weight loss.
In this regard, you need breast volume (implants) and breast projection (the lift).
I recommend you, to use a microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implants ("gummy bear" implants), with Moderate Profile increasing the base of the breasts toward the midline, thus shortening the space between them.

Also, I recommend perform Breast lift" to obtain an adecuate breast projection.

Finally, I recommend you to be treated by a board certified plastic surgeon, 

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Fold lowering

I am not a big fan of lowering the fold, but in some cases it does have to be lowered. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Is lowering my inframammary crease my only option

I have to agree with what your surgeon consultant has said unless you get a very small implant due the extremely short distance from nipple to breast crease

Julio Garcia, MD

Breasts augmentation and lowering of the crease

Dear Gabby,
  Thanks for submitting your pictures. Since you are contemplating a relatively large implants ( 375 cc or 450 cc according to chest circumference ) , lowering of the crease is very important for 2 reasons : 1. Make room for the implants. 2. Keep the breasts perky.  Rule of thumb for small D cup is nipple to crease distance of  7 - 8 cm. So, it sounds like you found the right surgeon from that stand point.
   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Pay special attention to the cleavage area, the perkiness, the symmetry and the natural look.
                                                     Dr Widder

Lowering the breast crease

Your question depends much on the size of implant desired. From the photos it appears there is a very short distance between your areola and the crease, leaving little room to expand the lower pole of the breast, giving it a nice, round shape. That is in part what makes a breast attractive. A larger implant may require this to be done, otherwise, the implant may sit too close to your collarbone, which is not attractive or natural looking.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon