I am so undecided on size. Am I going too small for my frame? (Photo)

Right now I am 180lb, 5'5 and a BWD of 14.5 (per a consult). I am a 38B cup but do not fill out the bra at the top. I am scheduled for a donut lift on left side only, plus augmentation under the muscle. My surgeon recommended gummy bear 475cc moderate (low) profile. I tried on sizers but found them to be very weird looking. I couldn't really get a good idea of how they would look. After doing some research, I am feeling like 475 is too small and maybe I should go for more in the 550+ range.

Implant sizing and breast lift surgery

Thanks for your question and photographs.  Based on your photographs it seems likely that you would be an ideal candidate for a bilateral lift with implants.  The lift will help to address your breast ptosis or sagging by lifting your breasts back up your chest wall into a more natural and rejuvenated position and the implants will help to restore lost volume.  You can then achieve a very natural result that suits your body shape without the need for very large implants.  The use of very large implants to bypass the need for a lift often leads to disappointment down the track and the need for further revision surgery.

I am so undecided on size. Am I going too small for my frame?

As you are undecided about your size ,you should consider an adjustable implant.The volume of the implant can be changed after surgery.This will also help you achieve symmetry and help prevent  wound breakdown when doing a lift at the same time
A circumareolar should be sufficient as you breasts are narrow
Click adjustable implants on the web site below

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Based upon the 1 unclothed posted photo, you really need more in person opinions! You have ptosis (sag) & asymmetry of the breasts. In my over the internet opinion you need a full lift and different sized implants to achieve any symmetry. Plus with the lift, the scars MUST be fully understood and the limitations to volume of the implants is related to the incisions used in the lift operation.

You need a lift

From looking at your pictures it appears that you need a full lift on both sides. I caution placing large implants as a solution to drooping breasts and you will likely regret it later.

Size of an implant

First I would caution you on only doing a lift on one side. The best look will most likely be achieved with lifting both sides and adding an implant. Since most of the doctors answering this question have suggested something different then the doctor you went to it may be in your best interest to get a second opinion and exam from another doctor in town. I personally am not a big fan of the doughnut mastopexy as it tends to flatten out the Breast and leaves all the tension on the nipple. Where in time the nipple then tends to spread again no matter what type of technique is used. I tend to only use that type of lift for small lifts or to just reduce the nipple size.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go and sometimes requires changing the shape of the breast with a mastopexy too. Good luck, MMT

Needs a lift

From the looks of your photographs, it appears to me that you need a lift on both sides. I would caution you that for two reasons large implants and lifts don't go together. First, you need room to separate the skin and take out some so that the nipple and areola can be moved upward to more flattering position. If you fill the space tightly with a large implant, there's no room to do the lift. Secondly, large implants, especially if placed in the dual plane or in the sub glandular plane, have a fair amount of weight and can make for early recurrence of the breast ptosis. Just some thoughts based on my experience. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Donut lift and implants

Thanks for your question and for the photo.

It appears that you will requre both the augmentation and a bilateral lift.  The size depends on what you want as your post op look.  I am not a fan of moderate profile...I prefer using Moderate + implants.

I usually use sizers intra-operatively to assess the desired size and have patients bring in ohotots of breasts that they like.

A physical exam would answer many of the questions.

Best of luck.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Implants and a lift

It looks like you probably need both implants and a lift. As far as size, it really depends upon your goals and anatomy.  I would have to examine you in person to know for sure.

It sounds like you have done your research on implant size. Keep in mind that larger implants tend to stretch skin over time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS