Do I need to be concerned, cancerous mole? (photo)

Very large mole,located near groin, roughly 3 diffrent colors, and does bleed sometimes. Also tender to the touch if rubbed by underwear. Does this look like a mole that could be cancerous? Thank you in advance.

When You're Concerned, get a consultation--Mole removal: lasers, radiowave, shave

If you're concerned, I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. Moles can be improved with lasers, radiowave and shave. Best, Dr. Emer.

Is this a cancerous mole

It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, so to be safe your mole should be carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Concerning mole

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to evaluate and assess your mole through photographs. To evaluate for any abnormalities, the lesion needs to be examined with an instrument called a dermatoscope which allows the physician to look at the mole under higher magnification for any irregularities. If any abnormalities are noted, then a biopsy should be performed, and the lesion sent to pathology for further evaluation. Also, moles that are in areas with frequent rubbing or friction can irritate the lesion and possibly cause bleeding. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your lesion evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD