Three weeks post FTT with MR. Can a pop in my abdomen in my sleep rupture my muscle repair?

3 weeks post TT with muscle repair. Last night in my sleep, I involuntary stretched and felt a pop. I spoke with my PS this morning, she said that at this stage post-op, the stitches are dissolving so even if I did pop a stitch it is OK. I have no bruising in the area of the pop, and have tenderness in that area. The area above my belly button, below my rib cage is swollen and feels fluid filled. I have not had swelling in that area until now. I am nervous that the pop I felt tore the MR.

Muscle repair ruture?

Thank you for your question. It sounds like something has definitely changed surrounding the event that happened while you were sleeping. A tear in the muscle could cause local inflammation and swelling. Hopefully this will be limited and the repair itself will be okay. A sign to look for is if the abdominal laxity you had prior to surgery is back. The best thing is to follow up with your surgeon and have her examine you and see if everything is okay. Best of luck. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your suture issue.  It was wise to contact your surgeon about what took place but because you have seen a change in the appearance of your stomach since this incident I would recommend being seen in an in-person examination to ensure that your repair is still intact and to have reassurance that the swelling is related to your healing and not a discrete fluid collection that would require treatment.  Best wishes. 

Should not be a problem by this point...

Hello, Most of your muscle repair is indeed at an advanced stage right now, and it is very unlikely that it can be affected by the already absorbing suture. However, you already did the most important thing which is inform your surgeon. 
Good luck with your recovery, 
Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD