Can someone have Thermiva treatments after a recent colposcopy?

I recently had a colposcopy done to check my cervix, and rule out any suspicions that my Gyno recently had. All results came back negative. Is there any evidence that Thermiva causes precancer or speeds precancerous growth in the outer or inner parts of the vagina or female reproductive organs?

ThermiVa

There is no evidence to suggest that ThermiVa treatments will cause/exacerbate the conditions you mentioned.  You should however wait until you are completely healed from your procedure before proceeding with a ThermiVa treatment.

No!

The answer is no. Nor is it likely. But... The reason for the strange answer is that radiofrequency energy has been used in medicine for over 75 years (see Wikipedia) with great success and without the problems you fear. Radiofrequency which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum includes both high energy radiation and low energy radiation. The high energy radiation part of the electromagnetic spectrum includes such radiation as x-rays and gamma rays which can damage DNA and result in cancer.
Radiofrequency energy includes radio waves and microwaves, is at the low-energy end of the electromagenetic spectrum. It is a type of non-ionizing radiation, like visible light and infrared. (Don't you wish you would've paid more attention in Physics?!) Your cell phone uses radiofrequency to send and receive signals. There have been questions raised whether cell phone signals increase the risk of cancer and research continues.
ThermiVa uses radiofrequecy waves to achieve its benefit. The procedure is of short duration usually 30 minuets. The absolute answer to your question cannot be absolutely known today. Physicians in Medicine balance the risk vs reward for our patients every day- this one seems easy to me. No procedure has no risk but The risk of ThermiVa seems equivalent to a 30 minuet cell phone call. You decide. For my wife who has had ThermiVa it was not a concern.

Can thermiva result in growth of precancer or cancerous cells on my cervix?

This is an excellent question. A simple answer is that there is no evidence to suggest that Thermiva treatments will exacerbate the growth of precancerous lesions.  If you were my patient I would not hesitate to recommend Thermiva given the history you describe.  I would follow the dysplasia carefully with repeat colposcopy and/or pap smears depending upon your specific results.  

Please be aware that medical science is full of uncertainties.  Fancy diplomas and white coats aside, as doctors we don't understand simple every day things such as why how do we sleep at night -  much less complicated things that whether a cell in the body will grow into a cancer and whether this will be exacerbated by Radiofrequency treatment.

Bottom line - I am ok recommending Thermiva if it is indicated for you.  Thermiva helps healthy tissue grow and based upon current understanding should not result in cancerous growth.

Make sure you follow up for the abnormal pap smear history with skilled clinician.   

ThermiVa

If you are wanting to have a ThermiVa treatment, I would recommend waiting at least 3-4 weeks to allow time for complete healing.  ThermiVa safely transfers heat via radiofrequency to affected tissues, in this case being the external and internal vaginal tissues. It does no damage to the skin as the heat is directed to deeper tissue layer. Radiofrequency treatments have long been used for muscle and tissue healing by promoting new collagen production which leads to softer, tighter tissues. This technology has been used for many, many years and  no clinical evidence exists that cancer or pre-cancer is either spread or caused by it the procedure.

Thanks

ThermiVa does not cause precancerous cells

I would recommend waiting 2-4weeks after the coloposcopy to ensure the biopsied area has healed. ThermiVA is a radio-frequency device that heats the tissue. These devices have been used for many years and there is no evidence that suggests this would have a negative impact on cancer or pre-cancerous cells.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prudent timing

ThermiVa Issues

ThermiVa is a ThermiRF procedure, RF stands for radio-frequency. Radio-frequency treatments have been used
over the past 75 years and no clinical evidence exists that cancer or pre-cancer is spread or caused by it.
Please consult with your OB/GYN to ensure that the biopsied area has healed prior to your ThermiVa treatment to avoid any potential irritation. Congratulations on your results, and best wishes.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa

Thanks for your question. Congrats on the good news. It's best to wait 2 to 3 weeks after the procedures. You can find a ThermiVa provider in you area by visiting the ThermiVa site.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

No problem

It's not a problem. No reason to believe that RF energy (which is ultimately heat) will have any impact on cervical dysplasia

ThermiVa following colooscopy

Yes, RF ok after colooscopy but would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks of biopsies taken. 

Dr Robert D Moore

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist