Will rhinoplasty be able to provide results for my nose? (Photos)

I am currently going to consultations. I have yet to see a nose like mine in any doctors portfolio. The 3 goals I want to achieve are 1.straighten bridge (there's a tiny bump you can barley see) 2. Refine my tip, it appears too pointy and long from the side 3. Fix the upward appearance of my nostrils. I would prefer that they don't sit on an angle. It is more nerve racking scheduling rhinoplasty when barley any doctors portfolios have patients with my issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nose

Rhinoplasty surgery is not a fix but rather a change. Some changes are subtle while others are dramatic. Picture books are samples of a surgeons experience in performing rhinoplasties rather than a catalogue for you to pick out a nose. Our website has a morphing program that may serve you well to see how you might look. There are others.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Will rhinoplasty be able to provide results for my nose?

Look for a surgeon who gets natural results -- there's no cookie-cutter rhinoplasty, and a surgeon who gets natural-looking results doesn't do so by accident or luck. Most rhinoplasty patients are looking to turn their tip up but maneuvers that turn the tip down are well-known by experienced rhinoplasty surgeons, so don't worry that you haven't seen many examples of this. 

In addition to straightening the bump, softening the appearance of the tip, and turning the tip down a bit, I recommend setting the tip back a little closer to the face. Other recommendations may follow after an in-person exam.

Your motivations are genuine -- your nose is a distraction to you when you look in a mirror, or when you see yourself in pictures. You want to eliminate the distractions. 

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty to address all of the concerns you listed above. Do your homework and seek out a consultation with a Board-Certified Facial Plastic or General Plastic Surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasty.

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip deprojection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a nasal tip deprojection.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had tip deprojection surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination but what can be accomplished with a  rhinoplasty procedure, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. It is possible to straighten  and narrow the  bridge line and shave down a small dorsal hump. The tip can be refined and the projection decreased from the side profile. The tip can also be de-rotated downwards if needed.  This can be accomplished with a columella plasty. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Facial proportions

While your pictures give me an idea of what concerns you, a face to face examination would reveal more specifically what would need to be done. Your nose might appear large to you because of your facial proportions that may need to be addressed at the time of your nasal surgery. 

I understand your concerns and goals. Reduction Rhinoplasty is guided by the anatomy presented to the Doctor as well as a knowledge, experience, skill, training, and talent of the Operating Surgeon. Nasal anatomy is not clay to be molded into the perfect result. You have the potential to achieve your goals, provided you are in the right hands. I am a proponent of the closed technique for Primary Rhinoplasty. Be sure you're very selective and careful about who you choose for your Surgery.

Seems to me your main issue is the projection of your nose. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_Annaeliza.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands. I brought the tip of your nose back closer to your face. The amount that the nose comes forward away from the face is called it's "projection," so the morph simulates "de-projecting" the nose.

You'll see that I also brought the bridge of the nose lower, to match the new position of the tip. And I also lowered the bridge up high, just below your eyebrows, because it's important to pay attention to that area as well, or your nose would look like a Roman statue's, with the profile line sliding from the forehead right down onto the nose, without a little dip in front of the eyes.

When the tip comes back toward the face, it decreases the amount of nostril that is visible from the front view. Also, when the tip comes back toward the face, it lessens the little prominence of the lip right where the bottom of the nose meets the top of the upper lip. Watch that junction between your lip and nose as the animation toggles.When that corner tightens, that also makes the nose look a little longer, decreasing the nostril show again. You can probably see it in the tiny video that I posted above; her surgery made a rather noticeable change in that area.

Finally, the photos you sent weren't very good for an online consultation. This view that I modified was taken with the camera down around chest area, and the camera was looking up at your face. I'd love to see a real aligned profile, and some three-quarter vies as well. The "Web reference" link page, at the very bottom, gives instructions on how to take photos that work well for this.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon