Rhinoplasty; are my expectations too high? (photos)

When I was young I was badly beaten and I have hated my nose since! It is thick over the bridge which gives my eyes a sunken look. It has a hump and a wide bulbous tip that is asymmetrical as well. My nostrils are wide and they flare when I smile and I feel like I can't be around ANYONE without makeup. I want to fix all of the things mentioned but I don't know if my expectations are too high. I am Puerto Rican so would like to maintain a Hispanic look.

Rhinoplasty

I do not think you are asking too much based upon what I can see. Unfortunately, trauma can be misleading. An internal exam is required to determine the integrity of the lining and cartilage within your nose.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

You should have high expectaions and seek the Plastic Surgeon that can meet them

It would be best if you seek out a board certified PS in your area that has extensive experience in Rhinoplasty.

The issues you want addressed indicate that you have excellent insight into your nasal appearance and the changes you seek are achievable.  The tip asymmetry and slight differences in the nasal tip may require an open approach.  This will be discussed with you during your consultation.

At your consultation, digital images will be taken.  This will allow the surgeon to perform virtual surgery on your nose and give you copies of you before and "after" images.  This is an invaluable step in the consultation and will resolve any questions that you may have about your desired changes and how they will change your overall facial appearance.

If you are not comfortable with the surgeon you meet - seek another.  This is your face and you deserve to be treated by the best and get the outcome you desire. 

Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC, Plastic Surgeon

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Realistic expectations for rhinoplasty.

From the profile pictures it seems that not only do you have a small hump, but *also* a radix (where the nose meets the brow) that is a bit too deep. This further exaggerates the appearance of a hump. A rhinoplasty can be used to reduce the hump but also build up the radix to create a straighter profile without looking too scooped out.

From the frontal views, the tip seems a bit wide as does the bony bridge. These, too, can be improved with a rhinoplasty.

As for preserving ethnicity in the appearance of the nose, I strongly recommend pre-op computer imaging so that a patient can get a sense for what the surgeon has in mind and so that the patient can see how the nose affects the overall appearance of their face. I perform pre-op imaging for all of my rhinoplasty patients to make sure we're on the same page and that my plan conforms to what they have in mind.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A closed rhinoplasty approach can address straightening the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump, adjusting the asymmetries in the midportion of the nose and refining the nasal tip, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor,  so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For more information, diagrams and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Nose

rmtrainer, you have reasonable expectations for your nose but don't forget your chin. See someone with experience that does "only faces" and has very good photos of their patients and a lot of them. Search the Internet. I hope that karma has gotten whoever laid a hand on you. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I suggest you seek an experienced Board Certified PS with expertise in Rhinoplasty for in person exam. For more info you can view the video attached

Rhinoplasty technique

Your nose can certaily be improved.  You would do well with a dorsal hump reduction and tip work. I would take a close look at the septum because it is commonly deviated on this situation.

Rhinoplasty; are my expectations too high?

The areas that concern you can be realistically cosmetically improved with a natural appearing rhinoplasty that is harmony with your other facial features.

.
Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for improving the appearance of a traumatized and distracting nasal appearance..

You appear to have a wide and irregular nasal bridge ant tip on front view, along with a profile hump. You may consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon