Red belly button 11 days post tummy tuck. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

I'm 11 days post TT & my BB is red & the inside is dark. My PS seemed concerned when he saw it at my 1 week f/u, but stated that it was likely due to irritation from the bacitracin I had been putting on it. He said to stop the bacitracin & to keep it clean & dry. I have no fever or drainage. It doesn't hurt. It has neither improved nor gotten worse since my appt 3 days ago. Should I be concerned? Is there anything else I could do for it i.e. steroid cream? My next f/u isn't for another week.

Red belly button 11 days post tummy tuck. Should I be concerned?

Yes concerned! Cellulitis or infection needs to be ruled out! See your surgeon NOW! for treatment and examination.....

Red belly button

Thank you for your question.  You appear to have some necrosis of the belly button and either irritation or a mild superficial infection.  Best to be seen by your plastic surgeon.

Red belly button 11 days post tummy tuck

This belly button will probably be fine but see your PS for the best on site advice. If there is any other sign of infection other than redness, you may want to consider antibiotics but this may just be inflamation from your surgery and will resolve on its own.See your doctor. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon