I had surgery to correct Gynecomastia. Recourse for incomplete surgery?

I had surgery to correct Gynecomastia. Anyone knows that the problem is both glandular tissue in the form of a hard mass AS WELL as excess fat around and behind the nipple. Im 4 months out and I still have almost all of the gland tissue behind the nipple. I was told it would be "ground up and sucked out.'' Now that the fat is removed these glands are even MORE sensitive than before. It straight up HURTS. My chest contour is still compromised due to these glands still present.

Pain and Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Discuss results with surgeon

I suggest you return to your surgeon and discuss your results in a calm manner. They should be able to help you.

Gynecomastia issue

If you are still having concerns about the result of your gynecomastia surgery it would be best to see the plastic surgeon who performed the operation.  Without a proper examination and possibly more investigations it is difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Photos would be very helpful in answering this question.  I do not know what technique was used for your surgery.  In my practice, I typically combine both liposuction and direct subareola gland resection.  Give it a few more months and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia Treated by Liposuction Alone

40% of my gynecomastia practice is redo surgery where liposuction alone was done. For true gynecomastia (versus pseudogynecomastia) liposuction and surgical excision needs to be done. If only liposuction is done and the breast tissue remains, it may appear even more prominent by not having the fat around it.

Miguel Delgado, MD

I will often perform liposuction for many cases of gynecomastia in cases where I do not think there is a lot of glandular tissue.  Patients are informed that they still may need additional surgery requiring a larger incision to excise potential glandular tissue when things have healed. This is not uncommon.  Good luck.

Breast tissue required direct excision as part of the surgery for gynecomastia.  Liposuction alone will not remove breast tissue.  I recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon and/or getting a second opinion/consultation from another board certified plastic surgeon.