Pain meds?

If my doctor gives me Percoset for pain and is going to anthesia me internally before he closes me up should that be enough to curb the pain, I have read how.much pain people are in. . And was wondering should I ask for some additional pain medicine?

Pain Medications

Thank you for your question. Pain control is very important. The goal is to make the recovery as easy as possible. However, if you feel concerned, let your PS know before the surgery. He will determine What pain medications you will need. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Pain medication after surgery

If you are concerned about pain management following your procedure share your concerns with your plastic surgeon before your surgery.  If you have not had your pre-operative visit ask questions at that appointment.  All surgeons want to balance keeping their patients comfortable after surgery with providing a safe amount of medication.

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post operative pain meds

I would recommend discussing post operative pain meds with your surgeon prior to surgery, if you are concerned about pain management.  I would suggest listening to the recommendations of your surgeon to manage this pain post operatively.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Pain management

If your doctor prescribes you a pain medication and you don't feel it will be sufficient you should address that concern with him prior to surgery.

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Pain Medication

Response to pain varies with patients' individual condition. A combination of proper preoperative explanation, good surgical care, proper intraoperative anesthesia and use of local anesthesia and post operative pain medication in appropriate strength and for the correct duration of time should see that you are comfortable after surgery. Your expectations as to the degree of pain and its control are very important to be have been managed properly before and after surgery.

Gurmander Singh Kohli, MD, FACS

Pain Meds

Your surgeon is going to be very well informed and the best way to manage your pain after surgery. Trust his/her judgement and stay in touch with the office post surgery if your pain is not being managed.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Pain meds after surgery?

Every patient is different when it comes to post operative pain medications, but rest assured that you have been given the best first option for post op pain control. A combination of proper surgical technique, injection of pain meds during surgery, and post op percocet should be fine for 90% of patients. Every now and then a patient may require more, or alternative medications. Let your doctor know if you are still very uncomfortable after 73 hours.
  Narcotic pain pills like Percocet (oxycodone & acetaminophen mix) are used for the first 1-2 weeks to help with pain, but they have side effects such as constipation, nausea, and itching. Try getting off narcotics as soon as possible when your doctor allows you to transition to oral non-narcotic meds, such as Motrin, or Advil.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain meds?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Each patient responds to surgery, and the recovery period, differently. Most tummy tuck patients are comfortable with some form of a prescription pain medication for the first few days after surgery, and gradually wean its use to an over-the-counter medication for residual soreness.  Talk to your surgeon about your pain management options, they will help you choose the best options for you.

Pain after TT

Thanks for your question. The injectable medications placed around your tissues during the procedure have really improved. There are longer lasting injectable meds available now. Narcotic pain pills like Percocet (oxycodone & acetaminophen mix) are used for the first 1-2 weeks to help with pain, but they have side effects such as constipation, nausea, and itching. The most important thing is to make sure you get up and walk around routinely to help prevent blood clotting issues. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon