Is nasal blockage after septoplasty common?

I had a septoplasty 3 months ago and I still have nasal blockage discomfort in my left nostril. My ENT told me that is due to possible nerve damage. How long does the nerves take to regenerate? What can I do to improve airflow? Does a tingling sensation a symptom of nerve regeneration?

Blockage after septoplasty

If after 3 months you continue to have blockage you will need evaluation.  Soft tissue swelling may improve but it would need to be treated.  If there is a physical obstruction you may need another procedure.  Nerve damage has little to do with airway obstruction. Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.  

Nasal obstruction 3 months after septoplasty

It is not uncommon to have nasal blockage 3 months after septoplasty.  Ask your doctor to look into each nasal vault.  Look for adhesions or debris that he may remove.  Consider nasal steroid sprays.  Be patient.  

If it does not resolve you may need a minor revision after one year.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon