Left breast is lower than the other. Should I be worried that this could be an early sign of CC? (Photo)

I am 5 weeks post op and it appears that my left side is lower than the right. My right side is higher and I can feel the implant more on this side. There's a bit more discomfort on my right. It's like I can feel it on my ribs behind the implants. When I go to lay on my stomach I can feel the implant on the right side. Left implant it's just soft and feels like my own. Also I can see the outline edge of the implant more so on the right. Should I be worried that this could be an early sign of cc?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

There is always some breast asymmetry and implants may magnify the differences a bit. At this point you need to give it more time to settle as well.

Early capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question and for including pictures. I have only seen early cc (within a few months) a couple times. Usually it presents like standard cc with tenderness and asymmetry. Sometimes this can be treated with a NSAID patch called Flector or even an anti-asthma med called Singulair. You are still very early from surgery so there is a good chance that your right breast will settle out as well. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon sooner than later to have them evaluate your concerns. Best of luck.

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Not necessarily

It appears that you have a very nice result thus far. As my colleagues have noted, you had some pre-operative asymmetry and what is evident in your photos is that you have have upper pole symmetry, meaning, the part of your breasts exposed in clothing , bra, or bathing suit appears to be symmetrical. It is common for your breasts and your implants to feel different from each other, and it is also common for one to be slightly firmer than the other. Unless this is a problem for you, nothing needs to be done about it. You should discuss all of your concerns with your plastic surgeon who can examine you and be far more specific in his or her answers. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

Looking at the photos you provided, it appears that your left breast was lower than your right before you had surgery.  Also, unless it's just the angle of the photo, it appears that your torso is not level (left shoulder lower).  Having said that, it would still be wise for you to go see your PS in person to be sure everything is OK.  Many women have some minor asymmetries right after surgery, but typically by 3 months, the implants have settled into their final position.  If your left implant is too low, your PS may be able to give you advice as to what you should do at this point.

Left breast is lower than the other. Should I be worried that this could be an early sign of CC?

Even though you had significant asymmetry pre op, more attention to detail during the surgery could have offered a better symmetrical result. Now only revision can improve, sorry.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and it appears that you will have a very nice result.  After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume.  At one month, your implants appear to be settling, with your left having dropped a bit sooner than your right.  This is very common.  I would anticipate your right breast implant to follow suit within the next several weeks.  Based on your before picture there was some asymmetry to your breast fold position so you will likely have a small discrepancy between your breast implant position.  I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then.  Hope this helps.