I am on day 1 of my lipoplasty recovery. When I get up to use the bathroom, my stomach is in so much pain.

I'm in so much pain that by the time I make it back to bed my whole body is shivering and I'm brought to tears. Is this normal? How long will it last? I had regular liposuction under general anesthesia, no laser lipo etc. I feel comfortable when I'm laying down. My doc told me that some people go back to work on the second day after this procedure (I took 10 days off anyway) and that information just seems very far away from the experience I'm having now. Thanks for reading :)

Pain after liposuction of the abdomen

Pain after liposuction is experienced when you are actively using your abdominal muscles such as sitting up from a lying position or getting up from a chair or toilet. You can reduce the discomfort by rolling on to your side and using your arms to boost yourself up to a sitting position. This will minimize the use of your abdominal muscles. You can also use your arms to boost yourself up out of a chair or up from a toilet. Many become aware, only after liposuction, of all the routine activities during which the abdominal muscles are used for balance. Typically, patients need medication like Tylenol with Codeine for pain for the first 3 days and after this period most are able to return to a desk job. Wearing a compression garment will also provide comfort. You're probably feeling much better by now since you're past the three day post-op period. Please talk to your surgeon if you're still in a lot of pain, to make sure there is no infection. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Discomfort in First Few Days Is Normal

Recovery during the first 2 to 3 days following any liposuction procedure can include quite a bit of pain. You should have medication prescribed by your plastic surgeon to help manage the discomfort. Additionally, I would say that very, very few patients who undergo tumescent liposuction under general anesthesia return to work 2 days after the procedure. I always tell my patients to take at least a week off from work, and the 10 days you took is quite reasonable. Hang in there! I bet you'll probably be surprised how much better you feel in about 4 or 5 days.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Have you not called your chosen operative surgeon about this pain issue? We do not know exactly what was done. If you are experiencing this amount of pain maybe g to ER?

Liposuction - severe pain on first day

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry you are having a difficult recovery.
  • You certainly are having much more pain that usual.
  • Although pain does vary, you need to call your own surgeon for help since only your surgeon knows your health, what was done and what is needed now.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Pain is normal but pain out of the ordinary is not so you should speak to your physician, caregiver.  At this poin you should be getting lymphatic massage and hyperbaric oxygen.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain and discomfort post- liposuction can occur. However, the type of pain you are describing sounds a bit too much.. That's why it is best to contact your Surgeon and let him/her know re/ the pain you're experiencing. He/she knows the details of the Surgery and your situation better. Minimal activity  immediately post-surgery is recommended. I would not advise my patients to go back to work the next day after liposuction. Best to discuss your concerns with your Operating Surgeon.