I am 64 years old and have very heavy breasts. My shoulders are very painful. Am I too old for breast reduction?

I have deep ridges in my shoulders am I to old for a breast reduction. Mt shoulders hurt. At times the pain is unbearable and over the counter Ned's don't help. Am I to old you breast reduction ?

BREAST REDUCTION

I do not believe age has anything to do with indications. If you are uncomfortable with your breast size, you should seek counsel from a board certified plastic surgeon to see if it could be helped.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

If you desire a breast reduction and are in good health, then you might be a candidate for a reduction. Best to be seen in person.  Good luck.

64 year old candidate for breast reduction surgery?

A plastic surgeon should be able to advise you on whether you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Your age should not be a contraindication, more important is your physiologic age and overall health.  

The procedure often provides dramatic symptom improvement and should be a consideration for you.  I've provided a video above with some useful information for you. Enjoy the results and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for writing to RealSelf.
From you description it appears that you will benefit from breast reduction surgery.
Age by itself is not a contraindication to surgery. If you are otherwise in good health and you are medically cleared for surgery. Medical clearance would need some blood tests and an electrocardiogram. Based on the results of the tests you might need further evaluation by a medical specialist such as a cardiologist.  If all tests reveal no underlying problem then you should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and proceed.

Gurmander Singh Kohli, MD, FACS

Age and Breast Reduction

Age is a relative contraindication to Breast Reductuon and for that matter most cosmetic surgery operations. 
If you pass a medical clearance including a heart stress test and have no underlying serious medical conditions there is no reason why you should not be able to have the operation. 

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN

Scarless breast reduction

This is an ideal situation for the Liposuction only operation.  Instead of many hours of general anesthesia and a long recuperation this is an outpatient operation less than one hour under light sedation plus local anesthesia with a minimal recovery time. Find someone in your area that specializes in it and see if it makes sense for you. It's not for everyone but it might be just right for you.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Age and breast reduction

I have performed breast reductions on women in your age group for symptomatic relief.  The key is making sure that you can pass medical clearance for the procedure.  If so, then you would be a candidate for surgery and can go on to live your life without chronic pain. Best wishes.

My over the internet guess is you are OK for BR surgery. If you wait til you are 65 than Medicare would cover the surgery.

Thank you for the question. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to breast reduction surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may be an excellent outcome with the procedure.  Obtaining "medical clearance" from your primary care  position or internist will likely be helpful for everyone involved.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for breast reduction surgery is one who is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Best wishes. Hopefully, your only regret will be not having had it done earlier in life. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. 

You're not too old for a breast reduction

You are not too old to want to get relief from your symptoms. I have had Medicare patients where the government paid for their reduction. Before you proceed, it's important that our general health and current mammogram are stable.To see pictures of women similar to you and their before and after results, click on the link below. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon