How good of a chance is there to correct capsular contracture? (photo)

Hi I just had my 2 month post op appmt. with my PS, & found out that I have cap. contracture. This was my FIRST cosmetic procedure EVER. Is this corrective with just one surgery? How likely is it to come back? Will my breast still be able to look/feel natural? What makes this so likely to happen? Should I be worried about adverse effects of this? All info is appreciated please help me. I'm leaving for a cruise for my best friend's birthday tomorrow only to find the day before that I have this.

How good of a chance is there to correct capsular contracture?

The incidence of capsular contracture is very much technique dependent. However, some people simply create more scar tissue than others. Through the years we have learned that bacteria is one of the most common causes of capsular contracture. Also bleeding around the pocket can cause scar tissue and thus capsular contracture.

Some of the following efforts have proven to reduce the risk of capsular contracture:

*An inframammary incision instead of the periareolar or transaxillary incision.
*A submuscular implant position instead of subglandular.
*Meticulous hemostasis.(assure no bleeding)
*Using a combination of antibiotics in the pocket.
*Making the pocket a little larger than the implant.
*Powderless gloves used to this dissect the pocket should be changed before touching the implants.
*Using a sleeve to insert the implant through.
*Early and proper mobility exercises to maintain an open pocket for the implants.

You already have an encapsulated breast, so the scar tissue must be removed, and this will give you the lowest incidence of a capsular contracture.

With all of these techniques used, the incidence of capsular contracture may still be higher than in a freshly operated on breast, but still pretty low. in my opinion, you should try to have it surgically corrected if it bothers you. You probably won't be happy with them unless you do.

Find a PS with lots of experience with this procedure, and best of luck to you.

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph. Capsular formation around any implant is a normal body phenomenon, but contracture or tightening will only happen in a few patients.

The chance of contracture happening is higher with:

-Smooth surface implants

-Placement below the breast rather than the muscle

-If there is blood clot after surgery in the breast pocket

-Infection after breast augmentation

-SmokersExcessive scar tissue formation can however happen regardless of your health and implant.

Generally capsular contracture takes time to develop and I am surprised that you have developed this problem only 2 months after surgery.

I would give it time and address any general aspects like smoking. Scars which form will take time to mature and your breasts should soften up with time. Wear a really good sports bra  and see how matters develop.

Generally capsular contracture can be treated in established cases by release or removal of scar tissue. This is not a small procedure and needs proper care. Capsules can recur despite corrective procedures but more often than not you will find a good outcome.

I hope this information is helpful in getting the best result.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture is a condition, the reason for which, isn't completely known. We know it is more common in smokers. We know it can be associated with bacterial contamination (not infection), and then there are reasons that aren't known. 
Textured implants have a decreased incidence. 
The use of betadine during surgery has shown to decrease incidence. 
There are some medicines that seem to decrease the symptoms of capsular contracture in about 20% of patients. 
Otherwise a surgical procedure may be necessary. Check your implant warranty, as in some instances this may be a covered condition.