Why are my eyes asymmetrical? (Photo)

For the past few years I've noticed that my eyes are not symmetrical. For some reason, this is more noticeable in pictures than in person and I hate pictures of myself because of my eyes. They never used to look so uneven. What could be the cause of this change in my eye? Should I be concerned? I am a 24 year old female and I wear contacts.

Eyelid Asymmetry

Your eyelids are asymmetric, so you're not crazy. From the picture it is unclear if your right eye is more prominent or your left eyelid is a little droopy. There are many causes for each. I would see an ophthalmologist for an evaluation and diagnosis. Then see either an oculo-plastic or plastic surgeon for treatment if necessary.

Eric Weiss MD

Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

See oculoplastic specialist for eyelid ptosis evaluation

Your left upper eyelid appears droopy (ptosis). See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation as there are different causes of ptosis. The treatment is usually eyelid ptosis repair.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

No the eyes are not symmetric.

You have right upper eyelid retraction and left upper eyelid ptosis.  I recommend seeing an oculofacial surgeon to determine if there is a medical basis for these changes.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you find qualified surgeons close to home who can assess you.  Ask if they accept your health insurance.