What to expect from a chin augment consultation (photos)

I went to my first consultation today and it wasn't exactly what I expected. I was given a book that the dr and his brother had co-authored. It had a total of 3 images showing b/a pics of this procedure with no mention of which brother did the work. He prefers mesh implants over silastic and said I'd only need 1cm of projection (I disagree) I am not going to go with him, but can you all provide some good advice on what I should expect and ask for at the next consult? Thank you!

Chin augmentation expectations

I agree with you not only based upon the photographs you provided but also mesh is an old material that is rarely used anymore. In addition, mesh in my opinion is very difficult to remove if you don't like the results and tends to have a higher rate of infection and complications such as numbness and nerve weakness. I prefer a silastic implant placed in a small crease below the chin that is an anatomic chin implant and designed to rest directly on your native mandible (jaw bone). These results are more natural, durable and reversible should you decide that you do not like this implant for any reason. Furthermore, there is very little risk of injury to your mental nerve which supplies sensation to your lip and after 1-2 weeks, the implant is fixed to the bone permanently and you can no longer feel the implant. Mesh implants are often placed through the mouth and sit higher and do not give as natural a result. There are other materials that can be used as well including Medpor (hard material and also difficult to remove) and Gore-tex coated implants (these tend to be less anatomic). Good luck with your consultations.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear cg512, Your surgeon should be able to show you a large amount of before and after photographs of chin augmentations not just an authored book as this does not show the surgeons body of work. In my practice an examination is performed during the consultation and then imaging is done to show the patient the proposed changes the chin augmentation would allow. Once this is done then we discuss the implant size that will be used in order to provide the proposed projection. I prefer a silastic implant with a small sub-mental incision. An example of the imaging process for chin augmentation is shown in the video above as well as before and after photographs of chin augmentation in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Computer Imaging is a helpful tool.

You should expect several things to happen at a consultation.

1. The doctor or nurse should take a medical history and ask about medications you use. This is important in determining if you are a candidate for surgery.

2. Ask the doctor about his training and if he/she is board certified. 

3. The doctor should ask about your concerns and expectations. 

4. Computer imaging is very useful tool. This helps to show changes and get a realistic expectation of your result.

5. Look at the doctor's before and after photos for chin augmentation. Some patients are reluctant to give permission for their photos to be used. So if there are not dozens of examples try not to let that worry you. You can ask direct questions like, "How many chin augmentation procedures have your done in the last 3 years?".

6. If the doctor finds you are a good candidate for surgery you should be told about all risks, complications, the fees for surgery and any other questions you have should be answered. 

7. You should feel comfortable, welcomed and never rushed.

Chin implant consultation

In our practice,  chin implant consultation lasts approximately 30 minutes, at which time we perform an examination of the chin to try to get an idea of how much argumentation the patient desires. Based on the amount of weakness to the chin AND the patient's desires and the unique anatomy of the chin, we make a decision about which size of implant  to place. We also use Silastic chin implants, not mesh which are better accepted by the body. Chin implants are manufactured in large variety of sizes and shapes, and can even be custom carved occasionally to fit  patient's asymmetry and unique anatomy. Computer imaging is also performed  at the time of the consultation as well as pre-op with one of the nurses prior to the surgery. Placement of  a chin implant is an outpatient surgical procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. For many examples  and an extensive portfolio of before-and-afters,  please see the link and the video below

Chin augmentation consultation - what to expect?

Thank you for asking about your chin augmentation.
  • I am sorry you had a disappointing experience.
  • First, mesh implants are not a good choice from my point of view.
  • People change with time - a silastic (solid silicone) implant can easily be removed and exchanged.
  • Mesh implants are difficult or impossible to remove.
  • What you should expect from a good consult is a plastic surgeon who listens to you, shows you - by studying your photos or computer images with you - the best look for you, the best implant and why -
  • And someone who takes time - good implant planning takes time.
  • Yes, confirm that the surgeon you meet will actually be the surgeon who operates on you.
  • Because chin implant photos require permission to show the face, photos of these implants are fewer than those of body areas where the identity is protected.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Chin augmentation?

Based on presented photos it is impossible to say how much of augmentation and what type of augmentation you may need; left and right profile views and 3/4 views will help. As you know, chin augmentation can be done with different implants (silicone implants being the most frequently used), or by means of sliding genioplasty (surgical cutting and advancement-forward movement of the chin). In the hand of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon these are predictable procedures with good outcome and patient satisfaction.
You should consult an experienced plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial implant surgery for further clinical evaluation. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your photos do not adequately reveal the information needed to give you a reasonable answer. However,you should consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon, in which options and techniques are fully explained to your understanding. You should be able to see many examples of the doctors work, and you must feel comfortable with the doctor and his proposal. Chin augmentation is a simple surgery but the type of implant and the surgical approach are critical for a natural result. Best of luck!

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from a chin augment consultation

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

In my humble opinion, silastic implants are superior to all other materials and are the only type of facial implants (cheek, chin) that I use.  The purpose of the consultation whether live or visual, is to relay the aesthetics of why something is suggested in a manner that the prospective patient understands.  Following the aesthetic principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, there is a way to decide just how much projection should be added to your chin.  You will find a significant difference of opinions on size, shape, thickness (projection), implant material and even method of placement (I only use the approach mentioned above as the intra oral route have several unwanted complications).  
Hope this helps.

Chin augmentation consultation

Thank you for your pictures! Each doctor will have a different way of doing their consultation, and I'm sure you are about to discover that on your next consult! Let me try and help you by breaking this into a couple of different sections.  Things that you should tell the doctor - well, have you had any orthognathic work done on your teeth? Did they have to "pull teeth" to "get them straight" or did you wear braces for a prolonged period of time? Any history of snoring, particularly when you are laying on your back? This information lets us know about the development of your jaw. Based on how your teeth come together, jaw development, etc different implants can be used. Implant vs. genioplasty - before asking about implants, you should find out if you would benefit from a sliding genioplasty instead.  This relates to the asymmetries in the jaw, amount of horizontal/vertical projection, etc. Some people benefit from orthognathic surgery rather than a simple chin implant.  It really depends on what is needed due to the situation.  During your consultation they should be able to explain to you about that.  What kind of implant and why - everyone has their own particular choice in implant type - but it should also relate in how/why this is a good option for you.  Some people like mesh, others don't.  Some like silastic, others do not. I personally like explaining why I like using one vs. the other in certain cases, but thats just me.  Finally, overall final appearance.  expected projection along with what other changes that will bring - often we think of just "bring my chin forward" but do not think about the changes that does to the position of our labiomental sulcus, overall lip and lower face appearance, etc. So that should be pretty clear.  Obviously before and afters help, but I have always found that the before and afters help most to illustrate points discussed during consultation rather used as marketing or selling points. I hope some of this helps! Best of luck on your future consultations.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Impant Candidates benefit from Solid Silcone

Your photo shows mild - moderate retrognathia or recessed chin. Have you worn braces? If so, you are likely in the proper occlusal plane (Class I) with your teeth. I used mesh many years ago, but now exclusively use silastic solid silicone chin implants from Implantech. They are easier to position/ place/ and re-place. Overall, this provides a better aesthetic result in my opinion. Computer imaging and a multiple Before and After photos are part of our Consultation experience here in Lake Mary/ Orlando. All the best. Dr. G

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon