Should I be concerned with this breast augmentation incision? (Photo)

10 day post breast augmentation. i'm very dissatisfied with the suturing of my right breast. It appears as if the suturing was pulled too tight. And, there is a small area where the skin isn't even closed. I feel like the closing was a "rushed suturing" or done by a mid level. Is it appropriate to address this to my surgeon and ask who performed the closing?

Should I be concerned with this breast augmentation incision?

If you are concerned about the incision and the closure, then you may ask your surgeon about this.

Kenneth Hughes MD

Should I be concerned with this BA incision?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. In the first few days after surgery, it is not uncommon for your incision line to appear puckered or raised.  This leads to a more favorable scar once fully healed.  Though I see nothing of immediate concern in your photographs, it is perfectly acceptable to ask your surgeon to examine the incision and provide reassurance.  Hang in there!

Breast incision

It's hard to tell much from your picture, however, it appears as if your doctor used dissolvable stitches and everted the skin a bit so that it will flatten out as it heals and matures.  You are only ten days out from your surgery so I wouldn't worry about it at this point.  I think it will heal just fine.  If you are not happy with it at three to six months then you might talk to your doctor about a scar revision.  This could be done in the office.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Suture post-BA 10 days

At 10 days, wound edges should be gently everted (as they are), and a small amount of "wrinkling" is not unusual. At about 14 - 21 days, I aggressively start incision therapy with silicone sheeting or scar gel. I prefer Cimeosil scar sheets (available online) or BioCorneum, although there are many satisfactory options. Give it time, take care of your incision, and it will look fantastic!

Concerned about incision

First of all, it is perfectly acceptable to inquire about the closure with your surgeon.  It has only been 10 days, so it is very early in the healing process.   The wound is being held together by sutures right now because your body has not yet formed a strong scar. The sutures will absorb overtime.   There does not appear to be an infection or separation.  These incisions typically heal well over time and look much better. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Don't worry yet

it appears your wound margins are everted(raised) which is the goal of the wound closure, this will result in a smooth/flat scar. If the incision was completely flat and smooth today, then the wound could actually heal with a depression or dent. Don't get so fired up, yet.

If you are so concerned with this incision than by all means contact your chosen operative surgeon. Over the internet we can only offer that it will improve over time. And if it des not than revision could be done.

Breast Augmentation Healing

Kristy.   While your photos do not show obvious infection, I would see your surgeon ASAP to have it checked out. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Incision quality after BA

I expect your incision will flatten and heal very well.  Incisions change quickly in the first month, so I would not judge the appearance at 10 days. Even incisions sutured by the same surgeon can look very different on each side. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon