Should I be concerned on the amount of bruising after breast augmentation? (Photos)

Postop Bruising

Good morning!

You do have more bruising than most, but there really isn't a lot to do about it right now except follow your PS' instructions and allow your body to heal. The real concern is a hematoma, but your bruising appears to be fairly symmetric as do your breasts. Usually a hematoma would be one sided with a very marked difference in size and the amount of bruising. Certainly avoid any aspirin or ibuprofen containing medications and followup regularly with your PS.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after breast augmentation

Bruising after breast augmentation does happen. I think the amount of bruising is more than what is typical and would recommend you contact your surgeon to be evaluated. It's possible that this may just improve on its own but it really would require an evaluation to know for sure. Good luck 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Bruising

Thanks for your question. This is more bruising than normal, but in the absence of a collection or fluid around your implants this is probably best treated conservatively, and will resolve with time. However you should arrange a consultation with your surgeon to assess you.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Bruising

From your pictures alone it looks like you have had a lateral chest wall bleed. Call your surgeon ASAP to be checked out. There is not a lot you can do for this- your surgeon will either leave it and let you heal naturally or you can aspirate the area. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Bruising

This is more bruising than I would consider normal. Do you bruise/bleed easily? It would be best for you to have your Plastic Surgeon examine you in person to rule out hematoma and ensure this resolves well.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bruising after BA

Thank you for your question. It is more than normal but your breasts look OK. Please follow instructions from your PS and if there is more swelling one side more than other or pain contact your PS

Ven Erella, MD

Bruising after Breast Augmentation?

This amount of bruising is a little bit more than typical, but because the breast appear symmetric and not overly swollen this can be normal. If you have any concerns you should always ask your primary surgeon. For now, you can begin topical arnica cream and oral Bromelin tablets. This, along with warm compresses, will help speed the recovery of the bruising. Hope this helps. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and provided photos.  Your photos show more bruising than usual.  However, bruising does not necessarily indicate a hematoma or bleed requiring re-operation.  A hematoma or bleed of significance following breast augmenation commonly presents with one or more of the following:

1. Significant swelling/increased size of the involved breast

2. Increasing/intractable pain to the involved breast

3. Pain and/or numbness to the arm on the same side of the involved breast

4. Significant bruising (not as convincing) to the involved breast

Regardless of the above, I always encourage my patients to notify me of any concerns they may have following surgery.  I encourage you to do the same.  An in person evaluation will best assess and assist with your concerns.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Mooty

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Should I be concerned on the amount of bruising after breast augmentation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. You do have a bit more bruising than typically seen after a breast augmentation but assuming there is not a great asymmetry in either appearance, swelling, or pain between your breasts then all is likely well.  If the bruising worsens, see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Best wishes.

Bruising after BA

Thank you for posting your question.  Significant bruising can occur after this operation and if there are not other findings (one breast much more swollen, wound drainage, severe pain, fever etc) it will often resolve uneventfully.  However, there is no way to know whether bruising is normal based on a photo alone.  If you have concerns it is best to contact your surgeon.

William Andrade, MD