Are there options as far as shape goes or do they come in only a few standard sizes and shapes? (Photos)

As a woman, I'm concerned with having something that actually fits my unique face and features, rather than a one-size-fits all type of deal. Are silastic implants customizable? Is it possible to have something that will produce more of a heart shape rather than a heavy, oval appearance?

Options as far as shape goes or do they come in only a few standard sizes and shapes?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  There are many sizes, shapes (and thickness) of chin implants from which to choose but that's part of finding a Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon with experience in Chin Augmentation.  Using a tried and true shape and thickness is always the best course of action.

Hope this helps.

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Chin Implants

Luckily, chin implants are manufactured in several different shapes and sizes, and silastic implants can be further shaped with carving to create an even more custom design when necessary.  You should be able to accomplish a nice profile and avoid a heavy appearance with the correct implant in experienced hands.  Make sure to consult with a board-certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon, and he/she will review the best options for you.  Best wishes.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

Chin implants are manufactured out of Silastic, and can be custom carved when necessary to fit patient's unique anatomy. Chin implants are manufactured and large variety of shapes and sizes which tend to work quite well for most patients. Chin implants are really not controlling the shape of the face, and are really performed when patient's have a weak and recessive profile to give added projection to the chin to help with facial  balance and proportions. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many examples, please see link and the video below

Chin implants

Thank you for your pictures! To answer your question, yes they can be customizable.  The implants themselves come in different shapes (you will hear of "flowers" implants, or "EAC" (extended anatomical) chin implants, for example).  Depending on what you are looking to achieve, the right implant can be picked for you.  Furthermore, because the implants are made out of silastic, they can then be further refined and polished in the operating room as needed to make sure that each individual implant is as personal as can be.  I hope this helps answer your question and gives you some information.  Make sure that you bring up this question during your consultations as choices may vary by practitioner! Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shapes and Sizes?

Silastic implants are fully customizable! Carving and customizing the implant to fit the facial features of my patients allows them to have very natural looking, individualized results. Producing a heart shape is definitely possible.
Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam, which is recommended.

Darrick E. Antell, MD