Will breast implant alone fix my pointy, herniated nipples? (photos)

I am planning on having breast augmentation soon and I'm very nervous that my breast will still be pointy or that the nipples will be too low. One surgeon said an implant alone would correct this. Will a standard implant procedure round out my breast and fix the herniation? I just want a normal looking shape.

No change expected

Your nipples are puffy. Have you had children? Usually the nulliparus nipple looks like yours and the nipple deflates after pregnancy. I do not think that the breast augmentation will effect or change your normal looking pointy nipples.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Will breast implant alone fix my pointy, herniated nipples?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your photographs I think a breast implant alone will give you fullness and will expand the areola and make your nipples look less pointy.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss this issue in detail.  However I think you'll have an excellent result with a breast augmentation alone.

Pointy nipples

Looking at your photos, you will probably do very well with augmentation to achieve the shape you want.  If your nipples remain pointy, that can be dressed later.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pointy nipples

Thanks for your question and photos. An implant alone is a great place to start. Your breast base will expand making the nipple and areola a less prominent feature. Later, if you feel that the nipple and areola are puffy or pointed, it can be addressed with a procedure that cinches down the tissue under the nipple, adding support. The resulting scar at the border around the areola fades with time. Of course I would recommend an exam and consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has done a lot of breast work to discuss in detail. Your case is special but with proper planning, you can have a very nice result! 

Best Wishes,
Joel A. Williams, M. D. , F.A.C.S

Joel Williams, MD
Dalton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for constricted breasts.

I think you would do well with a breast augmentation alone.  The constriction or tubularity will be addressed by the implant.  A mastopexy should not be necessary.

Areola herniation

You may have a slight variant of tuberous breast which results in a wide and herniated areola.  I would have the surgeon use his best judgement at the time of surgery.  First he should place the implant in the proper pocket and then determine if a periareolar lift is necessary.  You should understand the lift will result in a scar around your areola which will fade with time. 

Nipple issue

An augmentation would definitely help. Making the breast larger may make the nipple and areola less prominent on your breast. You may have tuberous breasts, but it is difficult tell from your photos. I would proceed with an augmentation in your case, but there may be a chance you would need some further surgery if the areolar herniation was still an issue for you. Without examining you and talking to you, it's not possible to advise you further. Generally we try to avoid a circulate plat scar (the scar completely around the areola) if we can help. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Will breast implants alone correct pointy breasts

Breast augmentation will certainly improve the pointy breast appearance, and is probably all that is necessary.  If you still feel the breasts are pointy afterwards, an incison around the areola which is a minor office procedure would give further improvement.  It does not appear that you have severe herniation of breast tissue at the areola, and it would be nice to avoid the perioareolar scars if you can.  An in person consultation would allow a more complete analysis.

Will Implants alone fix my pointy breast

If you take a staged approach and start with breast augmentation as the first step, you will be able to determine whether the implants improve your shape enough to meet your goals. If not, it is very easy to then correct the remaining issues with the nipple areolar complex.

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift™

I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift™.Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.This technique will also modify your areolas to make them flatter to eliminate the projection that you dislike.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon