Why so big? 500Cc suggested for 27" ribcage and 108 lb 5' 2"? Want that be overkill with 32 A starters?

I went for my consultation yesterday, and after trying on the gel inserts,the assistant recommended I go with 500cc silicone implants to achieve my desired full C to small D ( more D than C though). I want to end up with nice upper pole fullness, but no grapefruit look. 5'2" 108lbs currently.

Implant size must be a personal decision on your part. This will require placement of "sizers" on your chest under a bra and T-shirt. You can try multiple sizes this way and make a determination of what size you like the best. But, it has to be what you like, and not your plastic surgeon. If you are uncomfortable with the size that was chosen for you, I would suggest seeking a second opinion from, of course, a board certified and experienced plastic surgeon. I do feel that since you are so small, a 500 mL implant sounds a little excessive. But again, this is a decision you have to make after trying on the "sizers" and looking in a full length mirror. I do think that a 500 ml implant will exceed your goal of a C cup or small D cup. Thank you for your question, and I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your question.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome.That said 500cc implants are too large for your frame and It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as what size works best for you.  Also speak to the surgeon, they should understand your goal appearance to help you select the best implants.  Hope this helps.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Best breast implant for me?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Seems excessive.

Thanks for posting your concerns. The size mentioned does seem excessive to me as well, especially, considering your frame and dimensions. Perhaps you should consider several other consults where you actually see the doctor and not just the office assistant. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Implant size

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D and a 36 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size. Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Without pictures or an examination, I cannot make a definitie recommendation but based on your measurements, that does sound to be too big for you.  Also, you didn't mention if they recommended moderate or high profile implants.  I recommend discussing the implant size with the PS, not the assistant and/or getting another consultation.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

500 cc implants on petite woman?

Before determining breast implant size it is important to undergo biodimentional breast measurements. Breast implants 500 cc in size seem rather large for your petite body frame. I would recommend you discuss the implant sizing issues directly with your surgeon as opposed to an assistant. Best of Luck!

Breast implant size

Choosing breast implant size is a very dynamic process that involves detail discussion with your surgeon, 3 d imaging, and trying on implants.  It is very important in my practice that the patient is very hands on and helping me make the proper decisions on picking size and to make sure those implants will "fit" the patient.  You should feel very comfortable with the size that you and your surgeon decide on.  Good luck!

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

500 cc implant for a small woman with and A cup

Hello and thank you for your question.
Questions such as yours can be a bit difficult to answer without seeing you in person. However, from the information you provided, my thoughts are:
A 500 cc implant sounds like a really large implant for someone your size (5'2" 108 lbs). I can't say for sure because you may have breast/chest measurements that would support such large implants. That being said, when a patient of mine is starting with an A cup and they are your size, I try to explain to them that the less breast tissue they have to cover the implant, the more "implanted" they will look. If you are starting with an A cup and you put a 500 cc implant behind that, your breasts will be almost all implant. If you were my patient I would advise you to go with an implant size that is safe for you, with less likelihood of causing you long term issues and that would look a little more natural (as opposed to implanted) for you and your frame. I would try not to focus too much on cup size as they are not standardized anyway.  Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD