10 days post breast augmentation. Is this feeling normal?

I'm 10 days post breast augmentation and having a burning sensation on the side of my right breast along with moderate to severe tenderness. I feel as if someone punched me really hard in that area. I just want to make sure this is normal and will subside. Discloser: I'm left handed :)

Discomfort After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your recent breast augmentation. At 10 days’ post-op, tenderness and swelling are extremely common. As the sensory nerves heal and stretch, it is normal to feel pain, tingling, temporary numbness, and burning sensations. One side may be more painful than the other. However, I recommend contacting your operating surgeon with your concerns, as he/she knows the most about your particular surgical procedure, your medical history, and your healing progression.

Burning sensation after breast augmentation

The sensation you describe is fairly common in breast augmentation surgery.  Based on your description, it sounds like the sensory nerve to your breast is waking up and this is what is giving you this sensation.  The burning may last a few days to a few months but it should resolve spontaneously.  Nerves tend to be the tissue that takes longest to recover following surgery.  Obviously, this is a response based on your description alone.  If you have questions, you should contact your doctor since he is most familiar with your situation.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

10 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Burning Sensation at 10 Days Post-Op

Understanding the Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

If you find yourself concerned or worried at all about the healing process it is always best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that everything is progressing well. Best of luck.

10 Days Post Breast Augmentation, Burning Sensation & Tenderness - Is This Normal?

The short answer to your question is, Yes this is quite normal.  The stretching of nerves and muscles tend to cause aberrant firing of nerves even when they are not stimulated.  This should lessen over the next 30-60 days, but having nerve endings fire randomly even up to a year is not abnormal whenever foreign bodies are placed in the body, such as artificial hips, knees, and breast implants.  

Your personal plastic surgeon knows exactly what was done in surgery and can give you the most accurate diagnosis as to why you are having the discomfort you are experiencing.  I recommend a consultation sooner rather than later to set your mind at ease.  

Breast augmentation recovery

The symptoms you describe are common after breast augmentation.  The pain should improve as you move through recovery.  I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Is burning pain ok?

Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations.  It may be normal to experience a burning pain due to nerve changes from surgery.  I would recommend communicating with your surgeon and get their opinion for your specific concerns.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Tenderness?

Hello Kristy. Burning sensations on the sides of the breasts can be normal and are usually due to the 4th intercostal nerve stretch. Your breast implant is pushing pretty hard against that nerve, but the sensation can be treated. Be sure to speak to your plastic surgeon about it. Congratulations and best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD