Post Breast Augmentation saline implants-- ISSUES with healing the incision, is this a suture reaction? (photos)

BACKGROUND:SALINE implant, A cup pre-op to C cup. Small frame, 5'0 106 ibs pre-op (now 118 ibs. post op. ISSUE* 6 weeks post-op developed an infection literally over night. Immediately started high dose of antibiotics, then went to surgeon 3 days later. Infection had already drained out (extreme amounts of cellular yellow-clear fluid no smell) then, 4 sets of sutures later, due to holes likely from spitting stitches.Today, incision weeping a little fluid, no small clear yellow. Suture reaction?

See your surgeon for these serious postop issues!

It sounds like you had an infection that resolved partially with antibiotics, but some problem with drainage is returning. This could be an infected seroma (considering your description), implant infection, or just a skin infection / related problem. If it persists despite antibiotics, you might need to have the implant removed. Cultures of that fluid should be sent. You need to see your plastic surgeon and have close followup for such a problem. Best of luck!

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you to see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible and follow his advices.

In the other hand, In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Go see your surgeon

I am sorry to hear you have had problems after your surgery. You are and will be best served by not typing questions on this forum but rather going to see your surgeon, whom I am sure would want to see and know what is going on also. 

Healing problems after breast augmentation

I am sorry about your issues with the surgery, the vast majority of times patients heal up without a problem. Your story is concerning about infection. However a superficial infection that does not involve the implant can cause sutures to spit and require this type of care. However once the implant becomes colonized with bacteria, even if no overt signs of infection, it can be difficult if not impossible to heal the wound. One of the problems that leads to issues like this, is that the breast has bacteria that live inside of it. Once the nipple opens up to the outside world, skin bacteria migrate into the breast. It is this bacteria that can lead to infection or capsular contraction. Discuss this issue with you PS

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Beast aug and incision issues

Thank you for your question. Even though it look like suture reaction, because of history infection before is concerning. Please see your PS for evaluation.

Ven Erella, MD

Post Breast Augmentation saline implants-- ISSUES with healing the incision, is this a suture reaction?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your prolonged recovery and incision separation issues.  Though your current issues may be related to sutures, your history of an infection has me concerned about an indolent infection and colonization of your implant that is preventing your skin from healing.  In an otherwise healthy individual without undue tension on the incision the incisions should have healed without incident.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon and if you continue to separate or drain fluid I would advise removal of your implant.  Best wishes.

Implant reaction

Thank you for your question and photos.  
I'm sorry you're going through this post operative course.  

My first observation is that the incision pattern appears to be quite large for your breast, particularly for saline implants.  Secondly, I am concerned about the way the incision was closed or re-closed with the running suture.  Although I was not there at the time of operation, it doesn't seem to be a traditional pattern.

When you develop an infection and yellow fluid is draining out, there is always a concern for the source of infection and if the implant is contaminated.  When you say "extreme amounts" it is hard to quantify, but sounds like much more than a little suture abscess.  If you were my patient, I would have strongly considered washing the wound very thoroughly and closing very carefully.

To answer the question, I don't think this is a suture reaction.  I think there is likely ongoing infection that has delayed your healing.  If you are a smoker or have any other drug use or supplement use, it is possible that can increase your risk for infection, delayed healing, and poor scarring.  I would make sure you are seen by your doctor on a very regular basis until this has cleared up (maybe every 1-2 weeks) and if he or she doesn't seem to be concerned about this, I would consider getting a second opinion.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Christopher C. Chang, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon