Will having a Panni give me the results as if I was getting an abdominoplasty? (Photo)

I am awaiting my insurance to approve my Panni/Abdominalplasty. I suffer from muffin a top and lower extra skin. If I don't get the muscles tighten will I still get good results and have the fat under the top removed? I just wish for a healthy flat stomach and great results,as I have seen on a few photos, it seems as if only the apron is removed and no fat removal, am I correct? Do you think from my photos my insurance will cover it? Excuse redundant questions..

Abdominoplasty not covered by insurance

A panniculectomy will not give you the results of an abdominoplasty.  You don't need a panniculectomy.  Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction.  This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.Insurance will not cover this.

Panniculectomy along will not give you flat upper abdomen

Great question! Unfortunately, insurance companies do not care how your abdomen looks. The only reason they will approve panniculectomy is to help alleviate rashes or other medical complaints. This means if only the panniculectomy is done, as defined by insurance companies, this means only removing the overhanging apron of skin at the bottom. Muscle tightening or addressing the upper abdomen are not included. In the strictest definition, repositioning the belly button is not included either. Your surgeon may give you a discount for abdominoplasty if you do it at the same time as your panniculectomy, since insurance will be covering part (assuming you get pre-authorization), but insurance will not cover a full abdominoplasty. Also, I recommend being at or near your goal weight for the full tummy tuck, and also done having children. The good news is even if you do only a panniculectomy for now, it will change how gym clothes fit, and often this inspires people to change their diet and exercise routine, and they end up losing more weight. Then once your weight is stable, you can always go back for the abdominoplasty. 

Anita Patel, MD