My implant is pushing out from under the muscle and causing a lot of pain. From my arm pit to the top of my chest. (Photo)

I replaced my implants in March of 14, and have had nothing but problems. I have since had 3 surgeries in 6 months. First one replacing old implants, second due to my right side engourging. My surgeon didnt drain it for a month. The next there was something hard scraping my muscle. You could feel it at the top of my breast. Now again right side the implant it pushing out from under the muscle and causing a ton of pain.

My implant is pushing out from under the muscle and causing a lot of pain. From my arm pit to the top of my chest. (Photo

You have typical animation deformity caused by the muscle distorting your implants. You may need to have the implant placed above the muscle with possible mesh support

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

About Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

Find a surgeon who specializes in breast implant revision.

Thank you for your photo. You appear to have lateral displacement and possibly capsular contracture in both breasts, which would explain the pain you are feeling. It also appears as if you could benefit from a moderate to low profile implant to encourage the base width of your breasts to expand. If you’re interested in anatomically shaped implants, you may be a good candidate for gummy bear implants, as these can create a natural looking shape and may also decrease your risk of developing capsular contracture again in the future. Due to the number of surgeries you’ve had in recent months, I recommend finding a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes specifically in breast implant revision surgery so that you can achieve the best results with the lowest chance of future revisions. Best of luck.

Michael J. Halls, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant pushing out

I am not sure if that picture has been taken contracting the muscles or not.
In the first case, you have animation deformity, and it may be beneficial to change the pocket from submuscular to subglandular. 
In the second case, you have capsular contracture, and that should be treated with replacement of the implant and full capsulectomy, keeping the submuscular pockets.
Your medical history, with a haematoma that wasn't drained and constant pain, is consistent with capsular contracture.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Options for animation deformity

Animation deformity with implants under the muscle is actually quite common but yours appears fairly severe. You could place the implants above the muscle but because you are thin there will be an unnatural look and probably a fair amount of rippling. Options include conversion to the split muscle plane, which preserves muscle coverage over the upper part of the implant but significantly reduces animation, or split muscle plus mesh support using Strattice or SERI. This will probably give the best result. be sure to see someone experienced in these types of revisions. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Animation issue

Some patients have more of an animation deformity than others with implants under the muscle. However, placing the implants above the muscle especially in a very thin patient will often lead to rippling.

Chronic pain

I too suggest that you have the implants removed from under the muscle. In my experience, this leads to rapid relieve of pain.
You will see another patient from Jacksonville on the web reference page below: "paineful, jumping breasts in an athlete". She had immediate relief.
Good luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

My implant is pushing out from under the muscle and causing a lot of pain. From my arm pit to the top of my chest.

Sorry for your stormy postop surgery courses. appears as severe capsular contracture? Best to seek in person second opinions......

Revision / Internal Bra

Good evening!

You have a few issues that need to be addressed. First I suspect your muscle was divided very high up, because you can see a very tight muscular ridge at the top of your breasts. This in turn pushes your implants down and out, which cause bottoming out or lateral displacement. These conditions are frequently the cause of pain.

On the other hand, you may also have some component of encapsulation contributing to your pain, espeically with your history of an undrained hematoma or seroma.

Finally, you have a huge gap, and your nipple position is very wide.

My approach would be the following:

1) the Internal Bra, my strong permanent internal suturing technique which corrects the bottoming out and lateral displacement, and provides long term support for your implants. It works and it lasts.

2) a donut mastopexy to move your nipples to a better position

3) an implant exchange for wider implants to help fill in the gap

4) a capsulotomy on both sides to release the muscle and allow more free movement towards the middle

I have attached a link to my Internal Bra / Breast Augmentation Revision photo gallery for your review- hope it helps!