Do I need to lose weight before Breast Reduction Surgery?

I'm 212. 5'7. 38h. Do I need to lose weight? The surgery was approved. No charge to me. I only have a month to have reduction in order for insurance to cover completely. Will I have a tube down my throat

Breast Reduction/Breast lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Weight Loss is VERY Important

This is a very crucial question. Weight loss before breast reduction surgery is absolutely necessary. When women experience weight loss typically they lose a lot of excess fatty tissue in their breast. This is beneficial to the healing process, because having excess fatty tissue can actually hinder the healing process and lead to post operative  issues. Furthermore, breast reduction surgery not only reduces the size of your breast, but lifts the position. When you lose weight after surgery this could cause post-operative droop. Breast reduction is a major surgery which you only want to recover from once in your lifetime, therefore it is extremely important to get to your goal weight before these changes are made to your body. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The ideal situation is for you to lose weight and be stable in regards to weight prior to surgery - doing so will increase the safety of procedure and  improve the  chances of  long-term results  you will be happy with.  If you,  for example, have the surgery and then lose 20 more pounds, you may need to have another surgery because there may be additional loose skin to be removed  or you may be displeased with the ultimate breast size.

Although I understand insurance coverage issues that  exist,  I hope you do not compromise the quality of your breast reduction results.

The type of anesthesia utilized (and airway management technique) may vary from one practice to another; best to address this question directly to your plastic surgeon. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.