Distinguishing CTE from AGA by observation over years.

Is there a window of time with CTE symptoms after which it becomes less likely it's AGA? In nearly 2 yrs of sporadic shedding, typically at minimum 100-150 a day to maybe 200-300+ during hair loss "spikes", my hair has waxed and waned from fuller to thinner. With perpetually "carved out" temples and no obvious crown thinning, just diffuse loss and roughly 50% less density than before this started, I look like a poster child for CTE. After a number of mos. or yrs, is AGA less likely?

Great question and you're very much in tune with the complexities of these diagnoses!....If your photographs look the same after 3-4 years of "shedding" - it's likely you have CTE rather than AGA....However, you can still develop AGA.... It would be a mistake to assume you are free from any possibility to develop AGA....It would be unlikely but not impossible.

If you have not developed frank balding, then you most probably have CTE. You need a diagnosis made by a doctor who understands this process.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon