I am considering a tummy tuck but I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision. (Photo)

I have hypothyroidism.. My weight climbed to 247 lbs. I have gotten my weight down to 170lbs but I have lots of sagging skin and where the skin rubs I am getting rashes and infections. Wondering if I am an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck of if I should wait to lose about 20 more lbs? Please help.

I am considering a tummy tuck but I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision.

Congratulations on your weight loss! In my opinion- you are an excellent candidate for an Abdominoplasty. In my Practice as in most Board Certified PS's Practices- you will need a pre-op medical clearance from the Physician managing your Thyroid condition. Once you have the clearance and you've had a thorough physical exam and discussion with your chosen Board Certified PS- I would anticipate hopefully a happy patient with a great outcome.

Things to consider before your tummy tuck

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. Congratulations on your weight loss. From your photos, I think you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction. I would recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. At this time, he/she can review recent Before/After photographs of their recent tummy tuck patients, and have a frank discussion about what needs to be done to achieve your particular goals.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Abdominoplasty: Information

Dear Annnicki,

Thank you for your photos, story and questions.
Congratulations on your weight loss!  Your hypothyroidism should not effect your surgery (presuming under control).

Nothing substitutes for a personal evaluation and a face to face discussion of your options. Unfortunately without a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

In general it's best to be a your goal weight prior to surgery:
1) your abdomen (and other parts of your body) often will change size with weight fluctuations.
2) we all have internal fat (fat on our internal organs that pushes out the abdominal wall and accessible to liposuction or abdominoplasty) and external fat (fat that we can pinch between our fingers that can be liposuctioned or surgically removed during abdominoplasty). Weight loss effects both and thus we can make your muscles tighter and remove the excess hanging skin
3)Body Mass Index (BMI) over 35 and greater is associated with progressive increased

I suggest you make out a list of your questions and select several nude "model" photos of what your desired goals/look would be and then schedule several different consultative appointments with experienced Plastic Surgeons who are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Hypothyroidism and tummy tuck

Whenever you have loose skin then you need to have it surgically removed.there are no magic creams or pills you have to excise it so a tummy tuck would be a reasonable choice.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Is tummy tuck right for me?

Thank you for posting photos! There are a couple of factors to touch on here...

1) Hypothyroidism- This should be managed by a physician and make sure you thyroid medication is optimized and your hypothyroidism is under control.

2) Rashes and skin irritation- Ideally, I believe, the rashes and skin irritation should also be healed prior to surgery. Recommendations for this can be made by a board certified plastic surgeon.

3) More weight loss planned- I always tell my patients that are having a tummy tuck, that if they are considering losing more weight, then they should do this before surgery. I believe the more weight lost before tummy tuck surgery the better result one can have at the end.

4) Are you a good candidate- You seem to meet characteristics of women that are good candidates for tummy tuck. Although the only well to know for sure is by evaluating you in person. Tummy tucks are for women who have weak abdominal muscles, loose skin, stretch marks below the belly button, extra skin and excess fat to the abdomen and hips.

You should definitely be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon but it seems as though you would get the best result with liposuction and abdominoplasty at the same time. You should definitely do your research and find a board certified plastic surgeon that does this procedure often and has good results and happy patients. I wish you all the best!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

I am considering a tummy tuck but I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision

If you can hold on an deal with the skin irritation while you lose the additional weight, I think your end cosmetic results  would be better with the weight loss.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lipo and tt

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. The combination of a liposuction with the a traditional tummy tuck has become a very common procedure. It is safe to combine the two procedures mainly to address the hip and flank areas. This is a very effective way to extenuate the contour of the waist along with the abdominoplasty. It is also important to realize that there is usually a limit on how much fat can be remove in a combined procedure.In general you may be a good tummy tuck candidate if:You are physically healthy and at a stable weight You have realistic expectations You are a non-smoker You are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen. Also The fat transfer, often called Brazilian butt lift has become extremely popular because it allows your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. You improve your waist, hips and of course your buttock.

Good tummy tuck candidate if:

You are physically healthy and at a stable weight

You have realistic expectations

You are a non-smoker

You are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen

Tummy tuck surgery is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.

I also recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Based on your photos but without an examination, you appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas. It is difficult to tell whether in fact you are a good candidate for those procedures without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children.

The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight. and have a BMI of less than 30.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Ready for a tummy tuck?

Great job with the weight loss. I recommend my patients get to a stable weight and maintain that weight for at least six months or more before undergoing body contouring surgery. Make sure all medical condition are under control. You look like you would get a great result from a tummy tuck procedure. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck following weight loss

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss.  From your photos, I believe you will have an excellent result from a tummy tuck.  However, if you are planning additional weight loss, I would suggest doing so before operation.  Weight loss after tummy tuck can leave you with excess skin again and if it can be avoided, you really don't want to undergo this operation more than once.  
For more information on tummy tucks, please visit the link below. 

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician