I scheduled my TT/Lipo & Breast lift with implants surgery & I'm seeing some not so great reviews on the plastic surgeon. (photo

Current weight 175 (I was 247) hypothyroid. I have lots of lose skin. I was extremely excited for my procedure but then I can across some very negative and recent reviews of my surgeon and now my anxiety is full force and I'm not sure what to do. I need this surgery to get back to me.. Myself and the gym without risk of rash and infection. I know every body type is different but should I be worried.? Please help

Nervous before surgery

While it is wise to do research, including reviews of your surgeon, I encourage you to examine why you chose this surgeon to begin with.  Did you choose this doctor because he/she made you feel the most comfortable?  If you chose your doctor for the right reasons- your confidence in the surgeon combined with his/her credentials and experience, then you should proceed with confidence.  Speak with your surgeon about what you've read.  It may help ease your mind.

Seek Another Opinion of a Board-Certified Surgeon

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. .

Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy Makeover - Second Thoughts On Your Surgeon?

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear of your pre-op anxiety. You always want to go into surgery have complete confidence in your plastic surgeon. It may be worth discussing your concerns with him/her or even seeking a second opinion. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in mommy makeover procedures. Hope this helps and good luck.

Reviews on plastic surgeons

While researching your surgeon is a good idea, you should keep in mind that everyone will have a bad review here or there.  Reasons for this vary, but it is commonly communication and/or personality conflicts.  Every plastic surgeon out there will have complications.  Risks are inherent to every procedure.  If you are like the majority of patients, you should go through your operation without complication.  If, however, you do develop a  complication, you will want a surgeon who will help get you through it and give you the best long-term result.  If you are confident that your surgeon is going to be there for you, then go forward.  If you question it, schedule a consultation with another surgeon or two.  Find the surgeon who you believe understands your goals and will be there for you if and when you need them.  Good luck!

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Concerned about reviews about the surgeon

Although reviews are extremely helpful in helping you find a plastic surgeon, it is only one of many factors that will play a role in whether you have a good result. Some negative reviews may reflect unreal expectations on the part of the patient that was not properly addressed by the surgeon, or issues related to proper communication between the patient and the doctor's office staff. It may or may not reflect the surgeon' skill. I would suggest you go with your internal instinct on this one. If you like your surgeon and feel you are in good hands then I would not make too mush of the reviews. You may also want to ask the office staff about some of the negative reviews. Also if the surgeon has the majority of good reviews and a few bad ones, it probably does not accurately reflect the situation. 

Dr. Ravi Somayazula 

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

I scheduled my TT/Lipo & Breast lift with implants surgery & I'm seeing some not so great reviews on the plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Choosing a surgeon is a very personal decision and not one that should be made lightly.  All factors should play a role in the decision and I am attaching a link below to what I consider important information in the selection process.  Examine the doctor's work, and perhaps speak to some of his patients.  They can give you a better sense of what to anticipate and may provide reassurance. That said, seeking alternative opinions is acceptable and may add to your resolve.  Best wishes. 

Reviews are a double edged sword, especially since people can say almost anything they want to claim without repercussion. Unfortunately, sometimes negative reviews can be generated by competitors in an unethical effort to undermine the other surgeon's reputation. Of course, the same can be said for positive reviews - an office can have staff/friends generate glowing reviews. Recommendations from patients, satisfactory pre/post pictures, satisfaction with the surgeon's explanations and comfort with their interaction with you, appropriate credentials/certification/experience all help to quide you.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Came across bad reviews of my surgeon?

Great question. I tell patients it is normal to have just a few bad reviews but if you do not feel confident in your surgeon and he has a ton of negative reviews online there is no harm in a second opinion. Always think back to why you selected your surgeon. If it was just because he / she was the only one in your town that may be a bad choice.  But if it was based on his reputation from friends he or she may be the guy for you. 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Discuss with your plastic surgeon

I have a hunch that you will not be relieved regarding these negative reviews unless you ask your surgeon to talk with you about them. If after that conversation, you are not reassured of his skills, you have the opportunity to change surgeons. If you do change surgeons, the first surgeon still has earned his consultation fee and you should ask him to refund it.

Hope this helps you.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD