HELP!!! I was charged for 100 units of Botox and only received 25 units. Is this ethical? (photos)

Hello. I had an ophthalmologist inject 25 units of Botox around eyes. I received my bill and was charged for 100 units. My bill was close to $ 2000. The Dr claims the other 75 units were wasted. How can they do this!! I was prepared for a 25 unit bill but I was never told I would be charged for the full vial. Is this ethical? Help!

Botox and Prices

You should always review the price of Botox before the injection.   I would call the office and discuss the confusion with his office matter for a resolution.

HELP!!! I was charged for 100 units of Botox and only received 25 units. Is this ethical

Thank you for your question.  Prices and the amount of units injected should clearly be discussed prior to any injection.  Discuss your concerns with the office manager which should find a happy solution for you.  Best Wishes

Botox

This matter should be discussed with the office manager and the provider who injected you. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

HELP!!! I was charged for 100 units of Botox and only received 25 units. Is this ethical?

I think you need to have a discussion with the office manager and perhaps the doctor as well. The event does not seem right and you deserve some explanation as to the legitimacy of the injection amount. Check on their office policy so that you will understand what was done.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Talk to their office

I would talk to their office before complaining to the State Medical Board.  Botox is supposed to be used in the first 24 hours according to product labeling; however, many practices do not follow this strictly, especially if they have a high volume botox practice.  I usually sell my botox by the bottle and use 50 U vials.  I usually inform patients in advance that they are paying for the entire bottle, but usually I am injecting the entire vial anyway.  It sounds like his office may not have informed you of their policy.  I think there is room for negotiation since you do not have any proof of their policy to charge by the bottle,  and you only had 1/4 of the bottle used.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

I was charged for 100 units of Botox and only received 25 units

This is very uncommon. The assumption is that the entire vial must be used immediately or discarded and this just isn't the case. This is very rare practice. I would discuss with the office. Some state medical boards mandated different handling of Botox and injectable products but I do not think this is the issue in your home state. Best of luck!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox charge

Charging for "wasted" Botox is unusual these days when the vial can be utilized for multiple patients. In the early days of Botox the compound was not as stable and the vial had to be used within several hours after re-constitution. Today that is no longer true. I would suggest to arrange a meeting with the practice manager to solve this unusual charge. Also other solutions are to file a complaint to the BBB or Medical Board of your state if the first do not seem to adequately solve your problem. There are also 50 unit vials. in my opinion is irresponsible of a physician to waste 75 units when there is an alternative to use 50 unit vials. Also there is no prove that these units were wasted. Also it is accepted today to use the vials as multi-dose vials to multiple patients.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX over-billing

You should not have to pay for BOTOX that was not injected. I would try to resolve with the office first.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Contact the Miss. State Board of Medicine if you think you have a complaint.. There are 50 unit bottles of BOTOX available if your injecting doc had used that one than he would be wasting inly 25 units if he does one time use per bottle??? 

Botox and overcharge

I would call the office and speak to the office manage. This is not typical and they should make some accommodation to you. In the future it is always wise to ask what the treatment will cost prior to having it done so there is no surprise!

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon