What treatment would you recommend to fix an upturned short pig nose? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty done in 2005 to fix this....to no avail. My dr advised me on putting gortex in and 4 months later ...became infected. My nose is the result of trauma as a child. Can this be fixed?

The biggest problem is the bridge and perhaps a non-surgical revision rhinoplasty is indicated.

Dear Chuckd120;

The one photograph you sent tells the story; that, plus your history of having a rhinoplasty nine years ago to attempt to fix it. Gore-Tex grafts do have the potential, as do all nonhuman grafting, to become infected, requiring removal, and giving you the appearance of a nose that indeed could have been injured as a child and leaving an inadequate bridge.

You might want to look at a non-surgical option; either temporary or permanent injectable fillers are proven to be very popular.Certainly, computer imaging would help envision the result.

Computer imaging, uploads an existing picture of the patient into a computer. Then, the surgeon and an artist sit down and work up a predicted picture of what you most likely will look like after surgery and healing. (The technology is also known as computer morphing.) The final, healed patient picture is included so the three-picture panel is known as a triptych. In many cases, the actual after surgery, healed results look better than the predicted picture. Look for a practice that offers that service; it’s the best way to get a glimpse into the surgeon’s mind of what he or she is thinking about the changes that can be made to your appearance.

The other thing that you might want to consider is the technique called the Kotler Saline Demo™ whereby sterile saline is injected to raise the bridge and show you “in real time,” the result of having the bridge raised either by insertion of another plastic part (different than Gore-Tex, ideally), or the filler.

You have some options here. Revision surgery is certainly feasible if you decide you do not wish to have the filler option. Do some homework with the books available on the Internet.

Best wishes from Beverly Hills, California, Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Treatment of the "piggy" nose.

Treatment of the "piggy" nose. For 35 years of doing noses like yours the treatment involves cartilage grafts for your bridge and. Composite ear cartilage grafts to lengthen the central nose as well as the nostrils. Make sure you see a surgeon who can show u examples on his work on noses like yours. 

Treatment of Short Upturned Nose

I recommend that you have augmentation of your bridge using your cartilage and placing other cartilage grafts to extend your short nose so you can achieve the desired strong male profile.

Saddle nose deformity

You have a saddle nose deformity with a collapse of the nasal dorsum.  At this point you best option would be with a rib cartilage graft.  I would tend to avoid a silicone implant.  

Treatment of Collapsed Upturned Nose

Hi Chuck,

I would recommend seeing a rhinoplasty surgeon expert in using rib cartilage to reconstruct your nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

What treatment would you recommend to fix an upturned short pig nose?

You can have a cartilage graft placed to help with this.   I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.

An upturned short nose

Your nose has a "saddle" due to your childhood injury and failed nasal implant. Most would suggest using your own tissue, and a rib cartilage graft just might be the best option to give the necessary fill and support to your injured nose. Things can be fixed.

Sorry to hear about your current frustration. Since you have rejected the gortex it is my opinion at this point -- a bone graft from your own body will be the best choice. You'll need to see a very experienced Board Certified PS who is knowledgeable of the bone grafting technique. With the graft this upturned short nose will be corrected. 

Revision Rhinoplasty

The short answer is yes your nose can be fixed - the long answer is that it will require a full examination to determine what would be the best approach.  Lengthing and rotating downward an over rotated and foreshortened nose while elevating the dorsum is one of the more rewarding procedures that we do.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Lengthening and counter-rotating a short, upturned nose

The safest, most permanent, and best way to lengthen and counter-rotate the tip of your nose is by using tissue from your own body.  This will reduce the chance of infection and other complications that you have already experienced.  Based on your photo, you will achieve the best results with rib cartilage (which can be harvested through a small 2 cm incision underneath your right pec).  

Your revision is a challenging one, so it's important to seek out a rhinoplasty specialist experienced in revision rhinoplasty with rib harvest.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD