Pregnancy after lift and lipo

Well, I thought I was finished having children, but we've had a change of heart. If I do not breastfeed, what are the chances of me having minimal changes to the shape and placement of my breasts? Doc also did a capsulorraphy, so I am wondering if that will help? My lift, as well as lipo to the thighs and abdomen, was about 1.5 years ago. Am I doing something damaging to my body if I get pregnant again? Thanks!

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes 6 weeks to heal and I wait 12 months before any scar revision.

Pregnancy can change things and you may need a revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Effects of pregnancy on lift and lipo

Whenever a woman gets pregnant, changes occur to the body, no matter what precautions she takes. It is inevitable that your breasts will increase in size during the pregnancy and breastfeeding stage and then likely return to your pre-pregnancy size. It is important to note that in most cases, the breasts become saggier, which could result in a breast lift to return them to a more youthful position on your chest. I suggest consulting with your previous surgeon to discuss the changes your body will go through.

All bets are off after pregnancy

You are not doing anything damaging to your body by getting pregnant but all bets are off  in terms of the appearance of your breasts, thighs and abdomen.  You may need revision in all three areas because the amount of weight gain, skin changes and breast changes are very unpredictable in terms of appearance. 

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Withhold Breastfeeding To Avoid Breast Changes

Even if you do not breastfeed, your breasts will change during pregnancy. No one can predict how breast shape will change in response to pregnancy and breastfeeding. Capuslorraphy in the past is irrelevant. To hold off breastfeeding your child and the long-term benefits that come with that so that you may possibly avoid or minimize cosmetic changes to your breast is a decision only you can make. You are not "doing something damaging to [your] body" by getting pregnant again. Pregnancy changes are natural changes, I wouldn't consider them "damaging." There are many woman who undergo revision plastic surgery after having a baby. There are many others who do not need any revision plastic surgery after having a baby. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician