Its Been 9 Months Since my Tummy Tuck. I Have Bulging Around my Stomach. What Can That Be? (photo)

It has been 9 months since my tummy tuck. The scar is really close to my belly button and I have some bulging around my stomach. What can that be? I also still have a lot of wrinkly skin on top of my belly button. I do not know what to do :'(

Doctor Answers 5

Poor tummy tuck results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately I have seen tummy tucks like yours in the past done by non plastic surgeons (specifically a dermatologist, and a gynecologist). The sad thing is, it costs no less to have someone do a procedure poorly than to have a good surgeon do it right in the first place.The situation can be improved by re-doing the whole procedure which by tightening the skin some more, the lumpiness is improved but probably not eliminated. In all likelihood you will also still have some issues with poor scar placement, and the scar will be a lot longer, but we can usually lower the scar to some degree. You might not have enough excess skin above your belly button to avoid a small vertical scar in the lower tummy skin.  Sorry to see this sort of result, but your next surgeon, a Board certified Plastic Surgeon, might be able to assist. Good luck!

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Poor Tummy Tuck Scar Placement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are perfectly right to be concerned. I seriously doubt your surgeon was a real Plastic surgeon ( board certified byThe American Board of Plastic Surgery and member of The American Society of Plastc Surgeons) since the placement of Tummy Tuck scar, in my opinion, manifests a disregard to hiding the scar in the area of the panties and the incomplete abdominal skin removal. Unless you have a skin excess below the scar, it will be very hard to lower the scar. In my opinion, your ituatin would be very hard to correct. 

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without seeing before and after pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give a fully informed answer.  That said, something is not right.  It does not look like you had your procedure performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Unfortunately, you are going to need corrective surgery and would not suggest going back to the same surgeon.  Please take the time to research board certified plastic surgeons in your area for your surgery .  While the nothing will be able to make a full correction, there are some improvements which can be made.


Good Luck. 

Poor Results after Tummy Tuck?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am very sorry to hear and see about the troubles who have experienced after tummy tuck surgery.

Undoubtedly,  the results of your surgery are less than satisfactory. The location, appearance, symmetry of the scar is very unfortunate. The skin contour irregularity is also not acceptable.

At some point, you should consider revisionary surgery to improve your situation. It may be too early now;  waiting an additional 6-12 months may be helpful to allow for additional skin laxity...

I would suggest that you seek a different surgeon; for your revisionary surgery;  please make sure he/she is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Again, I am sorry about the experience you have had;  hopefully your results can be improved upon significantly in the future.

Best wishes.


Its Been 9 Months Since my Tummy Tuck. I Have Bulging Around my Stomach. What Can That Be? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In TOTAL agreement with Dr Aldea's well written statement! I bet you had a non boarded surgeon(?) or out of country surgery. The old saying the cheap become expensive but in your case, based ONLY on the [posted photos], I doubt much can really be done. Sorry. Please tell us who or what kind of surgeon did this to you. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.