I am a bit confused here about profile / projection. I am looking for a natural and discrete result and my ps recommended anatomical 260 or 220 bot high projection (5,2 , 4,9 cm ) respectively ...I agree with the cc but isn't the projection too high ...I've checked in many implants catalogues and the cm are the same as 400 or plus implants . what will give you the fullness and volume that you want ? Cc or projection ? And isn't there the risk to look to fake with high projection with low volume?

Considerations on choosing breast implants.

The first consideration is how big is your breast and how big you wish to be.  The volume you chose depends on your frame size and target breast size.  So for a 32 frame its approximately 150 cc that will increase your breast about one cup size.  For a 34 frame its about 175 cc.  For a 36 frame its about 200 cc that will increase your breast one cup size.  Next you need to measure what is the ideal base diameter of the implant you wish to use.  Its choosing the correct base diameter that will give you the cleavage you want.  So if 13 cm is the ideal implant diameter you need for good cleavage without a pushup bra then if you chose an implant that is 11.5 cm you will not have the cleavage you desire.  Finally the projection of the implant will make a significant difference on the shape of the breast.  For women with A or AA sized breast they will want a full or extra full projection depending on the look you want to have.  If you already have a B cup breasts then a moderate or moderate plus projection is all that is needed depending on how many cup sizes you want to go up to.  It is not advisable to go more than three cup sizes bigger than what you are.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast implant - is the choice right for me?

Thank you for asking about your bresat implants.
  • Choosing the implant is the most important part of your surgery.
  • It is confusing - there are more than 2000 different possible combinations of size, style, profile.
  • I strongly suggest that you return with a friend to your surgeon to discuss your confusion and to be sure that you understand your surgeon and vice versa and that you are confident that the implant is the right one.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Profile/projection of breast implants?

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “natural and discrete” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

It's a good question.The point of maximum projection for an anatomical implant is lower and not at the exact center between the top and bottom edge of the implant. A round implant has appointed maximum projection in the center of the implant. A high projecting round implant can increase the risk of having a fake look. The teardrop implant has less volume of the top and more at the bottom. Even though the implant is high projecting, the overall appearance of the breast continues to have a more natural appearance with less upper pole fullness.Interestingly, some round implant tend to settle so that there is more fullness of the bottom compared to the top. If you have an adequate amount of breast tissue, often times you cannot tell the difference between a anatomic and round gel implant. Surgeon preferences vary, but in my office I recommend smooth round implants for patients who are ready have good shape to their existing breast and just need some more volume. If the patient is very very thin (skin on bone) then an anatomic implant can provide shape and volume to the breast.If there's confusion//uncertainty in your implant choice, you should go back and see your plastic surgeon again for another discussion about your goals and the pros and cons of each implant choice.

You have a really good question. Standard round implants have their greatest projection at the equator, or center, of the implant. The anatomic or teardrop shaped implants have their high point, or point of greatest projection, below the center, like a natural breast. The breast looks more natural with a greater lower projection so the anatomics steal volume from the upper pole and place it in the lower pole. The problem with the anatomics is that the breast looks the same whether you are standing, lying on your side, or standing on your head! They never move. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast implant selection

Thanks for your inquiry, but without pictures and measurements, it is impossible to advise on your particular choice.  In general terms, anatomic implants are much more natural and "discrete" .  The amount of projection will determine how many "letters" bra size larger; ABC, etc.  Please sit don with your surgeon and have him/her better explain sizing to you before you make up your mind, god luck.