I had lipo on man boobs. I look a lot flatter in the morning after I wake up. I have hardness behind the nipples. Why is this?

I had lipo 6 weeks to get rid of man boobs. Results are very good and i was almost flat 3 days after the operation. however, i noticed that in the morning im flatter. and by the end of the day im puffy. there seems to be also some hardness behind and arunod the nipples. if i press them it goes down. i dont understand if this is scar tissue or swelling. will this go down with time?

Swelling & Hardness Behind the Nipple 6 Weeks Post Op

It is very possible that you are experiencing swelling as you heal. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple hardness after gyno lipo

It is normal to have hardness behind the nipples at this point in your healing. It usually takes three months for things to soften up. Hang in there.

Gynecomastia surgery

It is not unusual to have swelling for 3+ months following surgery.  When you lie down at night, the swelling that has accumulated in your chest redistributes to other parts of the body.  However, you are likely more active during the day with usage of your chest muscles which creates swelling.  These fluctuations are perfectly normal and will slowly subside as time passes.  The firmness beneath the nipple is likely swelling as well if it disappears with compression but I would recommend having your surgeon exam the area further if you have concerns.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon