I had Restylane injections on my lower lip and after about 6-8 hours later it started really swelling. Is this normal? (photos)

I had restylane ( 1/2 dose) injections on my lower lip and after about 6-8 hours later it started really swelling...as soon as the doctor did it I asked him to take it out with another syringe,and I now look like this! Please help..I have to take the kids to the nursery this morning and don't want to get out of the house...help!

Excessive Swelling after Restylane Lip Injections

Unfortunately, this tends to be one of the more common side effects of Restylane Silk  when used for filler for the lips. We find that the speed of injections tends to affect the amount of swelling, as well as the amount of insertions during treatment. Some patients simply swell more than others and some swell very little.
Noneltheless, the swelling will subside over the next few days. We suggest ice and avoiding hot beverages and alcohol the first 8-12 hours after injections. For some, this seems to make the difference.

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Swelling and bruising is a common side effect of lip injections and can last approx. 2 weeks.

Swelling and bruising is a common side effect of lip injections and can last approx. 2 weeks. Sleep with your head slightly elevated and apply cold compresses for 10 mins several times a day. Arnica montana tablets can help to reduce swelling and bruising. 

All the Best. 

If the swelling does not subside in 2 weeks, schedule a follow up with your injector to be assessed. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip swelling

It is very common for the lips to swell like this after a dermal filler is used like restylane. 

If only a half of a syringe was used, the final result after swelling goes down will be very subtle.

I have done many lip injections for filling and have found that this is very common using sharp needles. I have since switched to using a blunt needle for filling the lips and have seen significantly less swelling and bruising.

Ice packs can help. Give it a week. I think you will be very happy when the swelling comes down.