Breast Implant Revision: Switch Implant Profile without a Lift? (photos)

I got 335cc FF ALLERGAN under the muscle, with a 4.8cm proyection. I can not say that my result is bad. I love the shape, but I want to go to a moderate profile implant to achieve a more natural look. I feel this projection is too much. I have a high profile now. Could I get a good result with 310cc FM, 4.4cm proyection? My skin will contract to the new implant? My areola complex may be a bit low? The result can be worse aesthetically? The risk-benefit ratio may justify the procedure?

Breast Implant Revision: Switch Implant Profile without a Lift?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  For example, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.  Lots to factors to consider...

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.  

Changing profile

You would probably get a very nice results with the lower profile. Your lower pocket could be closed slightly to raise the implant, and it should fit nicely. Even a moderate plus profile would give a nice result. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and discussing all your concerns and options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Planning breast implant revision

Thank you for asking about your breast implant revision.

• I see no need for you to have a breast lift.
  • The implants are a little low
  • This can be altered by closing off the lower pole of the pocket at your revision surgery.
  • The moderate profile should look very nice and sounds a good choice -
  • It is minimally smaller and with a closing of the lower pocket, will probably fit perfectly.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS