Can I achieve a narrow cleavage line? (Photo)

I've read that the amount of cleavage after breast augmentation will depend on the width and spacing of your natural breast. So, based on the before op photos, could I had somehow obtained the desired result of cleavage? I have read that lack of cleavage may be due to anatomy before surgery and if this is the case then I will have to accept that the surgeon did his best. Maybe a fat injection could help me to achieve my goal? P.S. I re-published the question with attached photos.

Anatomic limitations to cleavage

If you are putting the implant behind the muscle, the limit to the cleavage is where the pectoral muscle attaches to the sternum.  If people have widely spaced muscle attachments, then they will have more widely spaced cleavage than someone with a narrow spacing.

Using a subglandular implant method or doing fat grafting to the cleavage area ("composite breast augmentation") are other options.

Cleavage following breast augmentation

There is no question that the shape of your breasts and the shape of your chest will determine the fullness in the cleavage area that is able to be achieved by breast augmentation surgery. For patients with wide breast bones and widely spaced nipples, it would be a mistake to try to place the implant too close to the center of the chest in the cleavage area. This would create an unnatural result with the nipples being displaced too far out from the central aspect of the breast. Congratulations on a beautiful result.

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Cleavage Spacing

Thank you for your question and photos. The photos of yourself, pre op, shown above another person's breasts demonstrate well the difference between their nipple placement and yours. Your areolas were naturally widely spaced before surgery and placing the implants centered under them will contribute to a wider look after. As well, your muscle insertion at the sternum and spacing mid chest before surgery does affect spacing after, you are correct. You appear to have a nice result. When your breasts have completely healed and softened they could likely be pushed together with bras when you wish.

All the best

Can I achieve a narrow cleavage line?

Thank you for your question, Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Can I achieve a narrow cleavage line?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that your plastic surgeon has done a nice job for you and that a more "narrow cleavage line" could not be achieved with breast augmentation surgery.  Attempting to do so would potentially lead to problems such as breast rippling/palpability along the cleavage area and/or an unattractive off centered  positioning of the nipple/areola complexes on each breast mound.  Personally, I think that the use of fat injection may lead to some of the same unfavorable concerns.

Some general thoughts regarding "cleavage concerns" may be helpful to you and other young ladies considering breast surgery:

Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  

Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.