I smoked while getting my hair transplant and 2 days after is it too late. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had a hair transplant 2 days ago and i smoke i just read that smoking can ruin the planted grafts so I decided to quit smoking my question is will the hair grow normal or will the grafts fall out im really worried

I smoked while getting my hair transplant and 2 days after is it too late. Any suggestions?

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

We all know that smoking is bad for you but if you've already smoked and are worried about you past actions, you can't

We all know that smoking is bad for you but if you've already smoked and are worried about your past actions, you can't go back in time.  Only time will tell how your hair will grow out.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking and hair transplantation

Smoking has the "potential" to affect wound healing and a hair transplant is all about the micro-healing of hundreds and usually thousands of little hair follicles that were traumatized and had to live outside of the body for many hours.

Nicotine constricts blood vessels and reduces much needed blood supply to the healing scalp.

It is best to stop smoking for as long as possible before and after a hair transplant. 1 week is good, 1 month is very good. Of course quitting altogether is best.

Outcomes or "results" are less predictable is those who smoke. We have had nice results in smokers (even some who take "smoke breaks" during the procedure!!) but also suboptimal too. We don't guarantee results in those who smoke.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

Smoked During Hair Transplant

You smoked during your hair transplant?  As an advanced head and neck and skull base trained surgeon, I have encountered many patients who have smoked before, during and after surgery.  Of course we all know that smoking has many health related complications (as well as wound healing and harmful hair transplant results), however, if you were smoking just prior to your procedure, I recommend actually continuing to smoke for the procedure and plan a long term smoking cessation plan rather than an abrupt stop just for the procedure in order to avoid any extra bleeding because you don't have the ongoing effects of the nicotine on the day of your procedure.  So maybe this will be an impetus for quitting.

John E. Frank, MD
New York Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking and hair transplant healing

we always ask our patient to not smoke a week before and week after, however in general it is best to stop smoking altogether.  Smoking is a vasoconstrictor and it reduces blood circulation to the area. This will both effect the healing process and also the hair growth. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Will smoking hurt my hair transplant

The fact that you have stopped is very good! There are a lot of clinics that will not guarantee the outcome if you smoke.
Smoking can impact a lot of things including healing. When we are trying to place the grafts in the recipient sites with smokers, the body tries to push the grafts back out and it tends to make a very long day etc...
We tend to educate our patients to quit smoking before the procedure.
Bottom line is until all the new hair is mature, (12 months) I would not be able to tell if the growth is normal etc...

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking after a hair transplant

Although you did not follow the instructions, a one or two time smoking event will not impact the hair transplant. Regular smoking is not a good idea. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon